close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

German Boxing Legend Max Schmeling Dies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by atrkyhntr, Feb 4, 2005.

1. German boxing legend Max Schmeling, one of the greatest heavyweight fighters of all time, has died at age 99. The former world champion died Wednesday, according to Schmeling's foundation in Hamburg. No cause of death was given. Schmeling won the vacant heavyweight title on June 12, 1930 when he beat U.S. boxer Jack Sharkey in New York. Schmeling defeated American great Joe Louis in a 1936 nontitle bout. Lewis knocked Schmeling out in the first round of their rematch in June 1938 in New York's Yankee Stadium to retain the world title.
    He was a class act who was not like many Germans of his era and always kept in touch with Joe Louis and his friends here in the US...

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I really had no idea that Schmeling was still alive. I just watched (wished I had of taped it) the Jack Johnson 2 day segment on PBS a couple of weeks ago. That era of boxing included many great fighters, with Schmeling being right there. Those fights were epic...going 25-30 rounds. These guys today wouldn't last 3 rounds against some of those fighters. :rolleyes:

3. catking

catking Banned

I also had no idea that Max was still alive. I also didn't realize he beat Louis. Louis retired undefeated as a heavy weight . I hadn't realized he fought and lost a non titled fight. Louis was perhaps the greatest heavyweight fighter EVER.....well, next to Ali ;) ......... THE CATKING !!!

4. Hook N Book

Catking,
    That fight was one of many hi-lighted in the Johnson story simply because he (Johnson) offered to train Louis. Louis's manager didn't want anything to do with Johnson because of his reputation. Johnson, then pointed out to the pundits exactly how Schmeling would beat Louis. Louis was knocked out with the combination that Johnson had predicted...amazing.

5. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Hook I saw that show as well and I was amazed at what Jack Johnson went through. Somehow he was always smiling. I think that is why he was so popular and hated at the same time. He would not let people get to him.

Catking I alway's thought Ali was the greatest as well until I saw the show on Johnson. Unforgivable Blackness was the name of it. I don't know for sure who was better but I do know I wouldn't want to face either one of them!! :eek: :D

6. Hook N Book

Buddy Punk,
    You're right, I think he was slightly ahead of his time. He had the same arrogance and cockiness as Ali. The only problem was people were not ready for that during his era.
    He took great pleasure in rubbing his success in the faces of people who tried to keep him down.

And for the record, Louis's defeat by Schmeling was his only loss before he won the Championship. He went on to retire (the 1st time) as an undefeated Champion but did have the one loss. He made a couple of comebacks, and Cincinnat's own Ezzard Charles defeated him during one of them.

7. catking

catking Banned

I got mixed up a bit........ :D .Rocky Marciano was the only undefeated heavy weight ...........Johnson was indeed decades ahead of his time. I'm STILL amazed that Max just died. Ezzard CHarles in his own right was a fantastic fighter . Cincinnati has had its share of great fighters. In fact, POUND for POUND , I rank Aaron Prior in the top 5 of all times. What a fighter..... THE CATKING !!!

8. dip

dip dip

DA KING boxed schmelling in 1927? howd ya do king?

9. Aaron Prior.. was his nickname the hawk or ??

10. Hook N Book

Agreed, Pryor (The Hawk) was a heck of a fighter. The guy would throw punches from the beginning of the round to the end. Another sad story though...I hear he's training some of the younger amateur's around the city.

11. catking

catking Banned

Yep, he was THE HAWK !!! He defeated a then " Unbeatable " Alexis Agullier (?) TWICE ,and he (Prior) moved up in weight to fight him . Sugar Ray Lenard dodged Aaron in his younger days......... . By the way, Roberto Duran was the only fighter to beat Sugar Ray while Ray was in his prime. And he whupped him good ;) Ray did return the favor, in the famous " No Mass, No Mass " fight , where Duran quit because Ray was pullin his crap in the ring. I never liked sugar ray , but he was probably the best fighter that ever lived................... CK

12. I liked him but then again I was a push over... In the navy they called me the white sugar ray LMAO... His fight with Tommy Hearns was unreal and I thought he won that 1st Duran fight too and totally took him off his fight game in the 2nd one... The hagler fight should have hap'd sooner too... too bad about his eye

13. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I'm sure a lot of you guys remember the "Friday Night Fights" on ABC. I can still remember Mom making Dad and us boy's a big ol bowl of popcorn and we would be glued to the t.v. I remember the Holmes vrs Cooney and the Holmes vrs Cobb fights like it was yesterday. Man Jerry Cooney (spelling on his name?) was a bleeder wasn't he? As for Randall "Tex" Cobb he wasn't much of a boxer but he sure could take a beating!!

I have a tape of a fight between George Foreman and Ron Lyle that is unbelievable!! It went six rounds and those two knowked each other down numerouse times. Howard Cosell was doing the fight and he was beside himself.

14. catking

catking Banned

I remember that fight quite well. That was where they darn near killed each other.......... They don't fight like that anymore for sure........ CATKING