close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gerard Warren

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Row v. Wade, Nov 12, 2004.

1. 'Just go across his head'
    Jeff Schudel, Staff Writer11/12/2004
    Email to a friend Voice your opinion Printer-friendly

Warren says it would be 'worth it' to go after QB

The Steelers' equipment manager might want to clear a spot on Pittsburgh's locker room bulletin board, because Gerard Warren has handed him a juicy story the Steelers will want to read.

Warren, who did not play when the Browns and Pittsburgh met last month, figures the best way to stop Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is with a forearm to the side of the head. And Warren figures he is just the guy to deliver it.

"Kill the head and the body's dead," the defensive tackle said Thursday. "Kill the head and the body's dead!"

Warren then demonstrated by smashing his left forearm into the palm of his right hand. The sound made a loud "crack!" making it easy to imagine Roethlisberger's eyes spinning like slot machine reels.

When told he could be fined $50,000 if he intentionally flattens Roethlisberger (6-foot-5, 241 pounds) with a forearm shiver, Warren responded:

"It would be well worth it going across a quarterback's head. They're already overprotected in this league.
    "He's a good kid. I've been watching him on film. He makes good reads, and he has good releases getting the ball out when receivers are just getting into their break. It makes it tough covering them."

Warren knows all about taking out quarterbacks, though it hasn't happened in a while. In the third game of his rookie year in 2001, he knocked former Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell out of a game with a shoulder under the chin after Brunell threw an interception.

The play did not even draw a penalty, but a couple days later the NFL office reviewed tape of the hit and socked Warren with a $35,000 fine. With inflation and pay raises, he figures he could pay that again and another $15,000.

"You have to get to him and rattle him," Warren said. "Orpheus (Roye) put a nice lick on him (in the Oct. 10 game). It was impressive to see him get back up and hold his poise in the pocket. He could feel the pressure was building on him."

The pressure didn't bother Roethlisberger much. He completed 16 of 21 passes for 231 yards and one touchdown pass. He threw one interception. Warren did not play in the game because of a pulled pectoral muscle.

Roethlisberger has won six straight games. If the Steelers win Sunday, he will be the first rookie quarterback since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970 to start his career 7-0.

Roethlisberger has rallied the Steelers twice in the six games. They were behind the Bengals, 17-14, at the start of the fourth quarter and won, 28-17. They were behind Dallas, 20-10, in the fourth quarter and won, 24-20. In that game, Roethlisberger threw a touchdown pass to Jerame Tuman and Jerome Bettis ran for 2 yards in the fourth quarter.

The Steelers have been in control from the beginning in most of their games. They led the Browns, 27-13, at halftime, the Patriots, 24-10, at halftime and the Eagles, 21-3, at halftime.

Browns coach Butch Davis was asked how Roethlisberger would respond if he has to play from behind Sunday.

"I'd love to find out," Davis said. "I'd like to start off ahead, 21-3."

Davis is always preaching about how important it is for the Browns to avoid third-and-long situations. One certainly doesn't have to be a football coach to figure out third-and-10 is not good for the offense.

Third-and-long has been the one problem Roethlisberger has had in his storybook season. Stats, Inc., defines third-and-medium as being between 7 and 4 yards and third-and long as 8 yards and longer.
    Roethlisberger is the best quarterback in the AFC in third-and-medium. He has completed 18 of 28 passes - 64.3 percent. But on third-and-8 or longer, Roethlisberger is tied for 12th with only six completions in 26 attempts.

Roethlisberger has been sacked only nine times in 164 pass situations. He has had time to throw, but when a pass rusher gets through his protection, Roethlisberger nimbly scrambles outside.

"All quarterbacks have to have a sense of pressure," Davis said. "I know Gerard has no intention of hitting any player in the head, much less quarterbacks."

Oh, yeah?

"I'm not saying knock him out of the game, just go across his head," Warren said. "You go across somebody's head a time or two, they'll be looking for you."

Asked about a forearm to Roethlisberger's noggin, Warren suggested hitting Roethlisberger in the throat might work better. Davis just wants better results than the last time.

"He has burned and torched every team he has played," Davis said. "We didn't get much opportunity to pressure him (the first time). We didn't play very good on first down.

"We learned from our sins of the first time by losing containment and not staying in coverage. We have to make sure he stays in the pocket."

I am and have always been a Brown's fan. This is over the top. No place for it in any sports. I throw it right back on Coach Davis. If "Big Dummy" AKA "Big Money" isn't benched for these comments then Davis has less of a grip on this football team then even I gave him credit for.

A wee bit o' smack in honor of Brown's - Stilers week.
    Congrats to the city of Pittsburgh for the invention of the toothbrush. Anywhere else and it would have been named a teethbrush. :D See why?

Go Brown's

2. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

I'd be surprised if the league doesn't bench him.

3. Yeah, that would be a good thing. Let the league handle it.
    The funny thing about the comment is that fact that the closest he's gotten to any QB this year is a hand shake after a loss.
    Another great 1st round pick by the Brown's.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Warren is a joke, and a Bust as a 1st round draft pick..He had no buisness saying this.

5. Old adage, "Open mouth, insert...........broken ankle" due to a chop block.