Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great time on the water 3 different days, Wednesday we fished off Geneva to the west and to the east a little bit, we tried in tight only to find freezing cold 60 degree water and no fish we moved out to the 63-67 range we fished from 6:30-2:00 and only landed 6 fish all day with a couple coming unbuckled it was the most frustrating day on the water probably the worst day for numbers of eyes boated in the past 2 years, having never fished out of Geneva we knew we had major adjustments to make for game day. We hit the water again on Friday and did much much better, we started on a NE heading and ran into nice marks in 55-60 FOW just a couple miles from shore and started landing fish right away, no tourney fish in this spot so we moved out deeper to the 00 55 line, we ran 4 oz snap weights in front of deep husky’s and deep reef runners both baits took tourney fish, 4 oz in front of a lights out rip stick also took a tourney fish, we tried a little bit of everything including cranks with no weight, dispey’s with spoons and double willow harnesses of dispsys and snap weights. We caught probably 25 fish with 6 of them being tourney fish, our weight was probably around 25-29 pounds.

We came in with no driver side windshield and thanks to Toolman for helping us getting it back on track along with a great time eating Kielbasa and drinking some cold ones and talking fishing, those are the tourney’s too remember. So thanks Tim you’re a heck of a guy for helping two needy anglers, I hope I get to repay the favor one day.

Tourney day we had two good spots to fish one we found and one our buddy Mike found during pre-fishing. We dropped our lines started with 4 cranks, 3 with 4 oz and one with 2 oz we pulled one tourney fish in this spot and many others we fished it till noon. We headed out to our other spot where we caught other tourney fish just south of it and we started pulling immediately after getting there. We took tourney fish on silver huckleberry Jr streak double willows with 4 oz, we ran 50 feet leads clip on 4 and send it out another 100 for a total of 150 back and we ran our inline boards very far from the boat and 4 of the 5 tourney fish came on outside boards, it’s tough getting tourney fish in the boat with over 350 ft of line out. Another good program that took tourney fish was rainbow trout double willows on 3 oz inlines (thanks for the 3 oz Gary) 110 and 115 back, that took 2 good fish. We caught probably close to 30 fish on game day all the bigger fish we caught we figured were the marks we were getting around 50 feet deep over 72 FOW, with 4 oz we put the baits just above them in the 40-43 foot range. Our speed was 1.6-2.0 we trolled with the waves or a slight quarter and made 2-3 mile passes each time just picking through the smaller ones. Our 5th tourney fish came on purple sunfire deep husky with 4 oz with a total of 165 back. When the day came to a close we thought we had 25 pounds we ended up with 29.00 even, good enough to take 4th place and $500.00.

All in all it was a great time on the water and Frank and I feel we did a great job making the right adjustments after only catching 6 fish our first time out East. Thanks to Gary Zart, and Mike Miller for helping us with programs and tips on getting more fish in the boat. Frank great job on the netting of fish and keeping us on track with stellar boat control as always. Looks like we are back on top for Team of the Year with some of the best sticks in the league chasing us once again, ohh boy every fish that will bite my line in the Vermillion event will have me shaking in my shoes, its going to be so nerve racking we hope to finish off the year great in September in Vermillion regardless of how we end the year we had a great time along the way and that's what's important.

A Big round of a aplause to Matt, Marc and all the other awesome people involved in running this circuit along with sponsors and volanteers, such a good time and a well ran tourney. I can’t say enough about how fun it is to fish these events. Just awesome and I am glad I am able to be a part of the circuit I’m sure Frank is right there with me. Thank you very much WBSA and the LEWT.

Ohh and good to meet BigDaddy300 out there, nice seeing everyone and shooting the BS with Lundy, Tim 'Toolman" Scott and Steve "freebryd' Carlson. Jason, Mike, Marc, Jared and Joe, Dave Hall basically everyone I talked to such cool people to hang out with and talk to at these events.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Kevin Summed that all up...

Once again i cant thank Toolman enough.. for the help... I hope to drink and eat more kielbasa with ya soon bud!!!!

and with this fishing ....to Gary and Mike with the tips and locations...

Mike Miller really does own the deep East...that man knows his stuff... and im glad we meet and have fished together....Congradulations Bro!!!

And Gary (bluedolphin)... he and his son just Rock period....

Mark and Matt and Chris... thank you for a great day and the words of encourgment!!!

Lundy.. great talkin to you @ the Camp fire....

Bigdaddy300 nice chatting with ya too.. its cool to meet so many OGF'ers out there....

Kevin and I love this site... and its members and i hope we represent all of you well....

Go OGF...

Frank

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice job Kgone! It's alittle different over to the east in the deeper water. I like how you guys adapted to the conditions! That gave me a few ideas for tomorrow out of bula. I've be playing with that idea of weights and plugs! I'm gonna try that tomorrow on a three way with divers and spoons! The fish are at 40- 45 fow!I'm thinking I'll start with 2oz. and add an oz. to get them down off the boards! As well as the norm!:D

·
KrustyDawg
2,632 Posts
Great report guys and congrats on the 4th place finish and being tops on the overall standings !:D The success you guys are having couldn't happen to two better guys/fisherman IMO, keep it up. I'll be out there with ya in a few years after I mold my youngest into a fishing machine !:D Gary has to be loving life right now !

·
Registered
965 Posts
Way to go Frank and Kevin!!! Awesome year your having. That's were all the hard work and 24/7 walleye obsession pays off...

·
Registered
572 Posts
awesome report, thanks for sharing! - i was thinking about you guys sat when i was on the water - fantastic job kevin and frank! - i missed the earlier tourneys this year due too major knee surgery and it seemed senseless to fish the last 2, needing three good tourneys - you are right these events are awesome to be a part of and man you guys are tearing it up!!!!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not Bad For a Couple of Pollacks ! !!:D

Congrat's on a excellent tourney & a stellar season...Good luck the rest of the way ! !

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW thanks guy, much appreciated. Frank and I are so pumped about how well we have been doing, it's pretty crazy for us I can tell you that so unexpected and very surprising. I guess our obsession is paying off for us. Thanks for showing some support for the OGF guys, it's nice to some of you guys so happy for us so thank you very much. :)

September will be the deciding tourney, but with 4 or 5 other awesome teams it will be no easy feat whatsoever and Im just going to go out and give it my all and hope for lots of :B

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
As Kev stated earlier... it means alot comming from ALL you guys!!!!

thank you , and thanks to every one who contributes tib bits and info.. we all use this site as more than just a tool...

its been a great year of fishing and tourney's and i feel like we trying out best to represent everyone here @ OGF.... the little guys...LOL... even though we are far from being little...HA ha....

we got alot help form other members too... Gary, Scott, Steve Carlson, Stevie (Viper205), Mike Miller, Het, Craig ,Matt, Dave, Rick and Julie and so many others... all this is part of it... the members helping each other out to become better fisherman and better people....

September is [B"]fish big or go home"[/B]....

we'll see what we can do...as i tell Kev many times "all we can do is our best"...but most of all ... us have fun doing it!!!!

Frank

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Frank and Kevin,

Can't wait until I'm old, surrounded by the grandchildren, and I can say

ME: "Oh, I remember when I fished with Team Keilbasa!"

Grandchildren (GC): "You did not! It's just another one of your fish stories!"

ME: "Really I did. Watched that Frank troll up a 9 lb beauty, too. Oh, it was a calm day out by Kelly's . . .(eyes well up with tears)"

GC: "Grandpa, are you ok? We believe you, really we do. Wow! Team keilbasa! Man were you lucky"

For real, AWESOME JOB! Can't thank you enough for the hands on trolling lesson, and it sure looks like I got lucky to have you two show me the ropes. By the way, Dday and my brother-in-law, and my brother, oh and Dad, Mom, sibs, friends, and all that catch and eat the fish thank you, as well. I have done real well thanks to you guys, and I am doing my best to pass it on to others. Good luck the rest of the way!

Bobby

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
LMAO... what next...

Now i know my speels are going over board...LOL

instant classic message Bobby!!!!! i almost pissed my self laughin!!!!

thanks Bobby.... and your right, the best part of fishing is with family and friends and eating the catch around the table with them!!!!!

Now thats living large!

Frank

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Good job guys on the tourney! The GTG was fun Friday night. I think we ate 10# of kielbasa! Frank cooks like Emeril over an open fire! Like I said...you guys would have helped me if I needed it, as well. I had the good (or bad) fortune of having to replace one a couple of weeks back, so I had some experience. I'm glad I was able to help. This obviously didn't do much to help to my LEWT points standings at Geneva, slipping to 5th overall, but I had a blast fishing with Lundy, even though he spent most of the day roasting my ass for one thing or another. Being a "glass-half-full" kind of person, I have figured out that a 1st or 2nd place finish at Vermilion could possibly make me Points Champion...depending on the finishes of several others (including Team Kielbasa) ;-) See you in Vermilion.:B

Tim

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just wanted to be sure you efforts didn't go unfelt and under appreciated, so I wanted to make it very public your a heck of a guy for helping us.:) Thank you

Yep Matt said it could be any one of 9 teams to take the Team of the Year. , all I know is every time a board goes back in the Vermillion event my knees will be shaking really bad and the moment a hog appears from the depths just before netting will be super intense. wow I can't wait! :B

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
krustydawg.To do as well as Nicholas and i have against all these great sticks is simply amazing to me. To be in the running for team of the year is priceless. Someone up there is watching over us for sure. To watch Frank and Kevin grow and do what there doing makes me very proud. I remember the early converstions over the winter that they werent sure if they could do it and i kept telling them they could.Now look where they are. To be on the same team and work with these guys for team of the year has been alot of fun and i cant wait for vermillion. Now if Frank and I can keep Kevin calm in prefishing lol. Take care guys thanks for the congrats. Gary Zart Blue Dolphin

·
Registered
290 Posts
Waht is the legal rod limit per angler this year on Erie??

Online iPhone Screensaver - be the first to win!
myscreensavers.info/media/iphone.scr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts