Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im heading to Geneva on friday and looking for some info.I was wondering if i should try to use harnessses since i primarily use spoons and havent done so well with then yet in Geneva. I was up there sat and spent the whole day and only caught 2 and was hoping to change that a little. I will be using boards for the first time if they come in and will be trying weights for the first time also. may be if i could get some idea what start with then ic ould go from there, i appreciate all the help you guys give on here for us rookies. I just started trolling last year and still have along ways to go but it is coming along. We did good in port clinton earlier in the year but Geneva is so much closer and i would like to learn how to fish it. thanks

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
The Geneva bite is getting good.....QUICK.

Last week was Great and this weekend was even better for us.

I would keep it simple, Geneva is known for its dipsy/spoon bite in the summer so theres no reason to really change.

We did real well all week on jet 40's 125-165 back off the inline boards with 3 1/4 inch spoons.

Our large dipsey's also pulled some good numbers for us. Number one setting at 50back, 2 setting 65-90 back and a 3 setting didnt pull as many but we had them 110-125 back.

If you are set on using weights, 2 oz 100back, 3 oz 50-90 back did well for us with colorado's and also double willows.

I would suggest getting a spoon bite going, the junk fish out there are in full force and love a slow worm getting drug in front of them.

We will also be out fri/sat/sun. The area north of Geneva 8-10miles is holding good fish.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the quick reply as im getting set to place an order from cabelas.Trying to keep all my options open but i like jets ans spoons the best. Im gonna pick up a couple of boards and try them on my jets and was wondering what color spoons. i usually do the best on chicken wing michigan stingers but was wondering if i should order some different ones. been doing good on the big ones more than the little one tho but could be because they were out the side and the jets were behind the boat witht the little spoons.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
I appreciate the quick reply as im getting set to place an order from cabelas.Trying to keep all my options open but i like jets ans spoons the best. Im gonna pick up a couple of boards and try them on my jets and was wondering what color spoons. i usually do the best on chicken wing michigan stingers but was wondering if i should order some different ones. been doing good on the big ones more than the little one tho but could be because they were out the side and the jets were behind the boat witht the little spoons.
i personally run ole pete's tackle spoons. My best colors so far this year have been monkey puke, spicy chicken wing, kevorkian, playin hooky, fuzz, and shrimp.

The hornet spoons can be seen here--- http://www.olepetestackle.com/olepeteshornetspoonslarge.htm

Get ahold of don for your spoon needs, I have also been running the new peerless predator spoons made by peerlessfisherman here on OGF with great success as of late.

·
One On The Turn
437 Posts
Bud 690

I should be up there Friday as well. I will try to give you a call on the radio.
Should be at the ramp about 6:00 A.M. but will have to leave by 1:00 P.M.

Keith R.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keith my radio only receives it wont transmit, i messed it up somehow. Supposed to enter some kind of code and i screwed it up.I will have mt cell tho the number is 304 670 8020. Im planning on getting there around 5:15 and will probably be out most of the day if need be. I was in port clinton and did real well but this is a whole new ball game. We will see what happens. thanks to everybody for a ll the tips ive gotten in the past few days here on OGF.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Well, the forecast is certainly looking better this morning for the weekend than it has the past few days. Depending on crew, I want to be fishing 2-3 days between Friday and Monday.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
Bud690, I was in Florida all of last week, so I haven't been out. But from the reports it sounds like it is getting better. Now about your radio, I never heard of putting in a code. It sounds like you maybe on low range, or your antenna it not working properly. Check the low range and set it to high if it is not, If your still having problems, it is your antenna. It may have a crack in it internally, or you have a bad connection at the radio. They sell a SWR meter for testing you antenna. It runs around 50-100 bucks depending on which model you purchase. It will show your wattage being put out by your antenna/radio.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Check to make sure you did not put the radio on international on accident.

For fishing Go out to the 58/58 troll north til the bite stops turn around and troll south til you catch junk fish. the 58 line west to east same deal we had a school of fish that was roughly 2 miles wide and 3-4 miles thick (north to south). Inlines with harnesses 50-90 with both 2oz and 3 oz. If the water is clear and calm get the boards out awway from the boat. I was running my outside board as far as 200 from the boat.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Check to make sure you did not put the radio on international on accident.

For fishing Go out to the 58/58 troll north til the bite stops turn around and troll south til you catch junk fish. the 58 line west to east same deal we had a school of fish that was roughly 2 miles wide and 3-4 miles thick (north to south). Inlines with harnesses 50-90 with both 2oz and 3 oz. If the water is clear and calm get the boards out awway from the boat. I was running my outside board as far as 200 from the boat.
Yep, he was right in and around the area we were. 58/58 is getting hott.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I''l be going out of Geneva Friday as well. This is our first time out this year. We did a charter in PC in May, and have been fishing inland until two weeks ago. We went on our annual Canada trip last week... so this is our maiden voyage for the year.

We'll be in a 18' Sylvan = Blue/Gray.... trolling arounf the 58/58 line.... hope to see some of ya'll.

·
EYE GUY
462 Posts
I will be camping at the State Park this weekend and hope to do alittle fishing each day. I never fished out there, so I was wondering if anybody pulls Reef Runners or should I just stick to the spoons?:confused::T

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
Weather permitting I'll be there Friday, and Sat morning. I'll be on 68 "Toxic"

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
I will be camping at the State Park this weekend and hope to do alittle fishing each day. I never fished out there, so I was wondering if anybody pulls Reef Runners or should I just stick to the spoons?:confused::T
we pulled a few fish on reef runners pre-fishing for the migration open, nothing to write home about though.

40 back, 130,140 back unassisted and 110 back with 1oz snap weight 20 ft ahead

·
One On The Turn
437 Posts
I will be in a 23 Trophy Hardtop. Besides Fri I will be there on Sun also.

Channel 68 or 14 "One on The Turn"

Keith R.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Went out today, bite was slow except for the perch which kept hitting the spoons! lol Caught one 26 inch eye in 72 ft and lost another when line snapped when new daiwa reel had broken ceramic guide unnoticed. :mad: Lost dipsey, snubber, and brand new flo nascar spoon. :mad: On the bright side, Lake was very calm despite the storms north and south of us. Fish marks were thick ten feet from the bottom, very few suspended fish today. The sea fleas or whatever you guys call them were all over the lines, they are a big pain in the ...

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
We're going to mission abort for Friday and give it a try for half a day Sat and for Sun. I can only fish twice this weekend, and don't want to blow one day in 4 footers.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
We're going to mission abort for Friday and give it a try for half a day Sat and for Sun. I can only fish twice this weekend, and don't want to blow one day in 4 footers.
yeppppp same here jeff.

No reason to battle rain storms and heavy seas---im getting to old for that stuff. Ill be having a meeting with the walleye saturday and sunday.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
yeppppp same here jeff.

No reason to battle rain storms and heavy seas---im getting to old for that stuff. Ill be having a meeting with the walleye saturday and sunday.
Well, see'in as you aren't going either, I know I made the right decision! ;) See you out on the water Sat and Sun.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Well, see'in as you aren't going either, I know I made the right decision! ;) See you out on the water Sat and Sun.
no way :)

im a fair weather guy, once the freezer is full i start being picky.

Plus, my crew is beaten and bruised. Ezbite is getting soft and my grandfather is old...... they wouldnt last :D :D :D

ill wait for fair winds and following seas ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts