Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am familiar with perch fishing, but new to walleye fishing out of Geneva.

After reading through the posts, it seems 70-75 fow fishing around 50 fow is where most of the fish are. Seem to be catching them on cranks, spoons, and harnesses. Seems like the Tru Tips are very popular as well. Do they come with a chart of how much line is needed as well?

I would like to take my boat out and give it a try soon. Would this be a good start? Anything else I should know or try?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I am familiar with perch fishing, but new to walleye fishing out of Geneva.

After reading through the posts, it seems 70-75 fow fishing around 50 fow is where most of the fish are. Seem to be catching them on cranks, spoons, and harnesses. Seems like the Tru Tips are very popular as well. Do they come with a chart of how much line is needed as well?

I would like to take my boat out and give it a try soon. Would this be a good start? Anything else I should know or try?

Thanks in advance!
First of all, StarCraft boats don't catch fish! Sorry...joke from a different post. BigFishTuff lists a dive chart on their website for the true trip depth charts. Dipsy's are hot right now and easy to use. True trips are also easy to use off the boards.

I would highly recommend taking a charter with one of they guys who advertise on this site out of Geneva. Tell em you want to learn and take what you learn and try to replicate on your boat. That will expedite your learning curve. My 2 cents, spend it wisely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
sounds like you have the right idea. when we fished out of Geneva a couple of weeks ago we went out north/east to the 06 to 08 lines. we tried in closer but didn't have any luck where we were at. but the fish do move around and may have moved in a little by now. but we were in 73' of water.

and like misdirection suggested a charter will take years off the learning time on the water. its well worth the money to spend a day or even 2 going to school with a good charter caption.

when I made the move from the western basin to the central basin I didn't know anything about using divers and after 2 days on a charter I was running 6 divers and catching fish.
sherman

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,123 Posts
We caught more junk fish this past weekend out there than i remember - and they hit everything we put in the water. There was so much on my screen that i thought it was a malfunction. So watch your fishfinder for the solid walleye marks and get your lures down there quickly as you want to reduce the amount of time that your lure is in the junk zone... I had best luck on worm harness - TT50 - 175-200 back - trolled at 1.7mph down speed. Walleye were hogs too - 28+ in size.

Oh, we are running from Geneva to North of Ashtabula in about 72fow and yes the fish are hitting in the 50-60foot range. Thermocline is at 65feet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts