Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the family to Geneva last thurs/fri/sat. Hadn't been on the big lake since '95 when we gave up our dock at Conneaut and started inland fishing only. Thought I had enough knowledge to show my 8 year old some bigger walleye than the ones we get at Milton and Berlin. Thursday and friday made it out to where most of the charters were but only managed two 20" eyes. Tried dipseys, wire, TT's, everything but boards. Knew I was around fish as the other boats were getting them and was marking good numbers at 55 ft. Oh well, not as easy as I remember. Family had a great time at the state park and Geneva-on-the-lake and a great meal at the Ferrante Winery. Back to Muskie fishing for the rest of the year, much more enjoyable to me.

·
florida ice fishing
14,056 Posts
really hate to here the fishing went so bad for you. we just spent 2 weeks up there and had a great time. the fish that we caught came from fishing deep. most of our fish came from 55 to 65 ft down in 73 fow. but the thermocline hadn't set up good yet and we were marking fish from 50 ft to the bottom.

I got my depth by going to 50 fow and set my lite bite slide divers on 4.5 with 65 lb main line, then let out line at 2.0 mph until we started bumping bottom. it took 185 ft to hit bottom that averaged out to 2.7 ft down for each 10 ft of line out. so we ran our lines out 210 to 240 which is 21 times 2.7 or 56.7 ft down and the 240 is 24 times 2.7= 64.8 ft down. and these depths may be useless now. and remember this isn't dipsy,s but lite bite slide divers set on 4.5 with 65 lb main lines.

we also had a great time camping in the Geneva campgrounds. but I really felt sorry for a lot of tent campers as the rain flooded out a lot of sites. we seen tents floating and air mattresses it was just a mess for most tent campers. so you may not have caught a lot of fish but sounds like you came out better than those tent campers in the rain.
sherman

1 - 2 of 2 Posts