Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been struggling the last few times out to put limits in the box but today things finally came together. 3 man limit at about 10:15am and probably thru back at least another dozen smalls . The only thing I did different today was that I ignored the marks on my graph that were down near the bottom.
I trolled North and South today and caught fish from 45 fow to 65 fow but no matter where the marks were I targeted my presentation from 25 to 40ft in the water column.
Purple did well for us today as well as watermelon. I ran 2 dipsys with spoons out each side, 1 downrigger with a spoon and 1 flatline with a blue and silver bandit unassisted. Only caught 1 fish on the bandit but I had another decent fish on that spit the hook.
Another beautiful day on the lake today and its not even July yet.
Love it!!

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,130 Posts
"I trolled North and South today and caught fish from 45 fow to 65 fow but no matter where the marks were I targeted my presentation from 25 to 40ft in the water column.
Purple did well for us today as well as watermelon. I ran 2 dipsys with spoons out each side."

Beings my friends & I have an ongoing argument going on,,,, If you were targeting 25'-40' & catching,,, Just how far out were you running your dips? (#1 & #3,,, with ring?)

Thanks For the report. ;>)

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I've been struggling the last few times out to put limits in the box but today things finally came together. 3 man limit at about 10:15am and probably thru back at least another dozen smalls . The only thing I did different today was that I ignored the marks on my graph that were down near the bottom.
I trolled North and South today and caught fish from 45 fow to 65 fow but no matter where the marks were I targeted my presentation from 25 to 40ft in the water column.
Purple did well for us today as well as watermelon. I ran 2 dipsys with spoons out each side, 1 downrigger with a spoon and 1 flatline with a blue and silver bandit unassisted. Only caught 1 fish on the bandit but I had another decent fish on that spit the hook.
Another beautiful day on the lake today and its not even July yet.
Love it!!
persistence paid off. thanks so much for reporting back in. keep posting your results.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I trolled North and South today and caught fish from 45 fow to 65 fow but no matter where the marks were I targeted my presentation from 25 to 40ft in the water column.
Purple did well for us today as well as watermelon. I ran 2 dipsys with spoons out each side."

Beings my friends & I have an ongoing argument going on,,,, If you were targeting 25'-40' & catching,,, Just how far out were you running your dips? (#1 & #3,,, with ring?)

Thanks For the report. ;>)
Doboy, I was using 2 different size dipsys. On the 3 setting I was using a magnum size #3 dipsy with the ring and was back 65 to 75ft. On the 1 setting I was using a slide diver ez bite without a ring and was 80 to 90ft back. The down rigger I set at different depths depending on the depth of water I was in. The spoon was 50ft behind the ball and I set the ball between 35 and 45ft.

·
Registered
379 Posts
6/29
We also trolled South to North and back. We fished 64 to 69 feet. Marks were not good. Limited in 3 hours with a lot of smalls caught. Spoons and dipsy. Number 1 Dipsys with 3 setting 117 and 1 setting 110 back. We concentrated between 35 to 40 ft. We tried the upper column all day with nothing. 20 ft and above. Worm harness shallow just like this months issue of in fisherman wrote. Crawler wasn’t even touched after hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Fishin Fool
81 Posts
We fished between 60 to 70 feet this morning. Most of the marks I saw were deep so we targeted them using dipsys on 3 setting anywhere from 130 to 180 back. It was a slow pick with some shorts mixed in. Later we tried some harnesses and they produced a few nicer fish. They seemed to be in small pockets and scattered.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Went out after work on Monday headed out to 65 fow ( passed a lot of boats in the 40 fow area ) , 6 rods in at 4:45, 4 rods on the big boards: 3 jets 120 back and 1 Perch pattern flicker shad 120 back ( got six on this sunday morning " Nothing on it this time" ). We got our 12th fish at 7:15, we also got 2 Steelhead ( 130 back on #2 Dipsy ). 3 fish on jets at 120, 4 on #3 Dipsy at 150 and 5 ( and 2 shorts ) on #2 Dipsy @ 130. Went north to 70 fow and back south to 65 back and forth straight out from marina. We also towed in a broke down boat with a husband and wife on it. The husband was a little short so we tried to throw him back, but his wife wouldn't let us!

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,130 Posts
Doboy, I was using 2 different size dipsys. On the 3 setting I was using a magnum size #3 dipsy with the ring and was back 65 to 75ft. On the 1 setting I was using a slide diver ez bite without a ring and was 80 to 90ft back. The down rigger I set at different depths depending on the depth of water I was in. The spoon was 50ft behind the ball and I set the ball between 35 and 45ft.

Hey WW,,,,, We need to order a few more divers,,,,
HOW DO YOU LIKE THOSE 'SLIDE DIVERS'?
Do They work good,,,, Do the rings STAY ON?

Thanks Again

·
Registered
355 Posts
I ran a couple of lite bite slide divers yesterday rigged like a dipsy (no slide). I kept them on the same side of the boat just in case the dive curve was different. They weigh about the same as a dipsy so it should be similar. I used dipsy rings on them but it took a little carving to fit properly. They will release on a small fish when adjusted right. I had and lost a light bite several years ago and it worked well. I picked up 4 more when Gander had a going out of business sale.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey WW,,,,, We need to order a few more divers,,,,
HOW DO YOU LIKE THOSE 'SLIDE DIVERS'?
Do They work good,,,, Do the rings STAY ON?

Thanks Again

I like them. Once you get them adjusted properly you don't have to worry about dragging small fish around. I don't use a ring on mine so I can't speak to how they fit.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Started straight out from the marina today in 58 FOW. Trolled north to about 70 ft. Bite was encouraging at first, then slowed. #1 dipsys, 3 setting 115-145 back; 1 setting 75-105 ft back. Slow pick for keepers. Lots of smalls. Lake kicked up and it was pretty sporty as we trolled back in. Last fish of the morning was a really nice one in 42 FOW, 55 ft back. Midges were annoying until the wind kicked up. Marks were sparse. Nice day on the lake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts