Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaned my portable generator to a friend during a recent power outage and it was stolen. It was an older, off brand model but worked great. Searching for a replacement. Lots of choices out there. Any input on brand name and reliability is greatly appreciated. Honda generators seem to be popular. Anybody? Thanks

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Honda, there are some used in like new condition , all depends on your needs to size wouldn't go below 2000 watt 2200?? , my 2500 do what I need them to for tv,a few lights and refrige , freezer .sump pump..... I just run for a few hours then switch to another.... don't have them all plugged in at once appliances, even had the neighbors on it too

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
honda is top of the line, but so is the price.

if you just want a good dependable generator I have one still in the box. but you have to come pick it up in Muncie in. i have 2 of them and only need 1. it is a champion duel fuel 3800 watt electric start. these are great generators. i had one I was using and it got stolen from me. i replaced it with another one but ended up getting 2 of them. they will run on gas or propane by just switching the fuel inlet. 450.00 firm. new on eBay there 850.00 with free shipping. 589.00 regular 699.99 at amazon. you can get this one still in the box never opened for 450.00

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've got a Honda 2000 watt, it is just a little shy of being able to run my furnace during a winter outage. Go at least with a 3000 watt unit and even then you won't be able to run anything more than one heavy draw. It's the start up on the blower motor that causes my problem.
I got the Honda from a insurance clean out otherwise I would have probably gone generac. It is nice and quite though.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
A good selling point to me was having a gas shut off or valve to easily drain the gas from the tank or isolate it from sitting in the carburetor between uses.....Propane is a nice option as well
Check out the champions and Tractor supply has some good prices for them as well as an occasional 10% discount at certain times.

Unfortunantly my champion has a messed up shutoff valve.It looks normal,moves normal,but doesn't shut off at the 90° angle like it's suppose tom More like 75° and have to look at the clear fuel line to run it out empty to see if it's completely shut off. I like to shut off and burn remaining gas out of small engines. I went swap out gas and took the cap off and nothing in tank. Did it varnish up after a few months even with stabilizer?I got it to run but sounded like an old antique engine dripping pancake syrup out of the carb. My boss at work is a whizz on small engines and he took it to fix.He's the one that told me about the faulty shutoff valve.While it sat with a full tank,all the gas drained into the block and he had a heck of a time getting oil cap off as well as the block apart. $100 and she's good to go now.Trying to find a new oil cap because it's a very tight fit now.I have another champion still in the box for emergency in case the original screws up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I loaned my portable generator to a friend during a recent power outage and it was stolen. It was an older, off brand model but worked great. Searching for a replacement. Lots of choices out there. Any input on brand name and reliability is greatly appreciated. Honda generators seem to be popular. Anybody? Thanks
Just got a duel fuel. Gasoline and propane. Like the duel fuel no gas in tank

·
Registered
148 Posts
honda is top of the line, but so is the price.

if you just want a good dependable generator I have one still in the box. but you have to come pick it up in Muncie in. i have 2 of them and only need 1. it is a champion duel fuel 3800 watt electric start. these are great generators. i had one I was using and it got stolen from me. i replaced it with another one but ended up getting 2 of them. they will run on gas or propane by just switching the fuel inlet. 450.00 firm. new on eBay there 850.00 with free shipping. 589.00 regular 699.99 at amazon. you can get this one still in the box never opened for 450.00
I have used a Champion Gas Generator for 5 years now dry camping at Shroaders campground on Maumee river during the run. I beleieve it is 3500 watts. It gets 100 to 120 hrs on it each year If it dies tomorrow I would still be happy, pd $299 for it. It is often said these generators are the the best china has to offer. They start easy and have great reviews you have to hunt for a bad review. I have a duel fuel like Sherman has, I bought it for a replacement for when mine dies. I cant give you any info on it cause not needed it yet. I run my champion about 12 hrs a day. I have a seasonal site avout a 5 week duration along the Maumee and get to camp fish about 2 weeks on and off during the run.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
mine is a 4750-watt start and a 3800-watt run generator. they are like 5800.00 at amazon. it has electric start with a remote start for those cold mornings. it is dual fuel, gas, or propane. champion has built a reputation as a great one.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
A few questions ; What size do you need / how many watts? Is sound a big issue, as the extremely quiet gennies are pricey? What is your budget?
We've had Coleman, Generac, & Champions so far, all in the 3500-3800 watt range. The Champion is hands down the best of those 3. It starts whenever needed & has never failed us. However, I have two buddies that run Predator brand ; they are really nice & are quiet for the price point & neither have had any problems with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.