Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions if you could share your knowledge.
I'll taking a nnw heading straight out to probably about 50-55 ft and trying the drift, if no wind then I'll try casting. Are you guys using steel leaders or just tie right on the line, I have a few wally-spins from back in the 80's along with some generic weight forward spinners for hanging crawlers. I have a large silver and blue spoon thats rigged behind bananna style weight with about 3 ft of mono leader, would this work while drifting or casting? or is it mainly a trolling rig? What do you guys use for casting and or drifting? I have a creek by my house that I can net up some 6" chubs and shiners I'm thinking maybe a slip bobber set up and hang a big chub down about 25'?
I don't know what I'm doing could you help, I'll pick up whatever you guys suggest at the wildwood marina if not around my local baitshops. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Your post has me a little confused(which might be why noone has posted an answer to it) but I'll take a crack at it anyways. First, no steel leaders-just use ball bearing swivels somewhere before you lures. Your direction out of Wildwood should put you somewhere in the vicinity of fish. But maybe start in the 40-42 ft. depths then go deeper if you need to find fish. If you're drifting, I assume you will be casting one rod anyways. That rod should have some kind of weight forward spinner(Erie Dearie-type) with a nightcrawler on it. Cast it perpendicular to your line of drift, count by thousands to ten(good place to start-before you trip your bail and start your retrieve. Make sure you reel just fast enough to keep you blade turning. On another rod, if the speed is good enough to turn the blades of a harness with a weight(banana or other say one to three ounces), in front of it say 18 inches, let out line in measured amounts(i.e.-wraps on a casting reel back and forth being a count of One) try starting at say 10(back and forths). This rod cound have a large, deep diving crank bait with a lighter weight(or none) flatlined behind the boat insted of the harness. Change the countdowns(go higher), and the wraps(higher) occasionally til you contact fish. Keep the dragged rod in a holder of some sort or you might loose it.
If you have a fish locator, it will speed up the process substantially. IF your motor will troll down to a slower speed, use dypsy divers and scorpion spoons and troll these at different depths(back and forth wraps, if no line counters). You can search this forum for all kinds of help on running this program. If the wind is really blowing, forget the cast and drift and troll with or against the waves. With them will give you much better control of the boat. These suggestions should get you started-in a trip or two, you'll be amazed at how much you have learned and will be posting on here like a pro!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have a friend who fished 1 oz eriederies off
Wildwood sunday in 52 FOW on a 30 count and
caught 9 fish in about 3 hrs

·
Whaler
3,199 Posts
One day last Summer I drifted a lead head jig with a Chartreuse twister tail and a piece of nightcrawler and caught several Walleyes off Wildwood. I agree with C.J. period start in 40-42 feet of water instead of running way to 50-55 feet. It all depends on wind conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts