close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gear shifter/ shift cable

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by dexterm16, Dec 31, 2008.

1. was informed when my boat was in getting serviced that there was a bit of "slop" with the gear shifter assembly. Guy said it was either the gear shift box or the shift cable. Any guess as to what would be more likely to go bad first. my boat is older, but in good shape. Also if i purchase a new shift cable core wire from ebay is that all i need to have to replace the shift cable?

2. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

What kind of motor do you have? Hard to say from here which is most likely to be bad. But, I've replaced shift/throttle cables before and mine have tended to get tighter over age. Shift and throttle cables are not that expensive to replace. The ends are engine-specific, so make sure you get the correct brand. Use the old ones to determine the correct length for the replacements. If you are going to do the shift cable, you might as well replace the throttle cable too (if they are separate). If your cables have threaded adjusters on them, tape them before you pull them out of the boat so when you set up the new ones you have a good reference point to start with. It would be a good idea to have a shop manual for your engine so you can fine tune the throttle/shifter settings.

3. i have a mercury 170 hp with an alpha one.

4. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

My experience is on outboards, and replacing shift and throttle cables on an outboard is a piece of cake compared to the description on the Outdriveshop site... wow.

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

What happens is the cable gets stretched. Most commonly from the engine idling too fast or the shift interrupt switch is not functioning and making getting out of gear difficult. Corrosion sometimes get to it.

Not a repair for a novice without a few special tools.

6. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

I did this last spring. There are actually two cables for the shift. One from the shifter to the inside of the transom to some sort of a contraption, than the second from there on out to the outdrive. The first one shouldn't be to difficult, but the second one is a another story. Here is a on line manual for you. You need to be a bit handy to drop your outdrive. If you do I strongly recommend you replace the bellows also. http://www.boatfix.com/merc/mainmenu.pdf