close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gear Ratios

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Trout, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Can anyone explain gear ratios to me?
    I would like to know what works best for different types of fishing. I've noticed that 5.1:1 seems to be pretty standard although some of the heavier combos will drop to about 4.3-4.6
    I think I would prefer torque over speed.

2. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I really dont understand it much but the higher the gear ratios, the faster your retrieve is per cycle and vice versa for the lower gear ratios. The higher ratios gears are good for bass fishing. I know on my baitcasting reels, my bass fishing one is 6 something ratio and my catfishing reel is like 4.5 or something. If you go to basspro.com and look at their reels, they tell you how much line you bring in per cycle base on the gear ratios. Wish I can tell you more information but this is all I know for now but I am always willing to learn more.

3. Thanks. That does help alot. Is there a place on the net that gives an explanation of gear ratios? I guess I'm just looking for the best all around ratio.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if i'm not mistaken,the ratio refers to the number of times the spool turns,for each full turn of the handle.
    as was mentioned,the higher the ratio,the more line picked up.

5. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

The pro's use different gear ratio's for different lures. When you're sponsored by rod and reel companies, why not? They will use a high speed reel, or higher gear ratio for buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, when they want to pick up line fast and run the lure quicker. They will use a slower reel, or lower gear ratio for worm fishing or when they want to force themselves to slow down. That's really getting into the nuts and bolts of fishing though, most of us don't pay much attention to it, and go with a reel that's affordable or suits our liking. -Hooch-