Ohio Game Fishing banner

Gear for smallies on the big lake

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Warpath 
#1 ·
I have stocked up on tubes and jig heads. But I was wondering what types of rods and reels are guys using up on the big lake to drag tubes. Spinning or bait-casting? Medium or medium heavy? What pound test line are people using? Will be fishing a club tourney this weekend, so I'd appreciate any help on these things, thanks!!!

Eric

#4 ·
I fish a 6'6 med heavy spinning rod and use 10lb stren when I'm dragging tubes, 6-8 lb mono if i'm holding with the trolling motor and casting,the zebies seem to eat way to many jigs when I drag anything lighter then 10.
Here's a tip for ya, keep a casting rod handy with at least 14lb test and a 1/4 oz jig head, some days it's the answer,the 14lb test keeps it floatin just a little longer.
It's worked for me many times. I hope those fish have enough lips left to get a hold of your bait :D they've been worked over but they're still there :) Good Luck

#8 ·
My Dad always said I was a little different...:D

I use 6'6 St. Croix Medium Light and 6'6 St. Croix Medium Rods. I use the Quantum Kinetic pTI20 Reel. I wouldn't want to use anything heavier than these rods. For smallies, I feel you need the flex and give of a MediumLight/Medium rod. It just helps so the hook/hooks don't pull out of their mouth. Just my .02

Line, I use 8lb Mono and 8lb Fluoro. I haven't noticed a difference in the amount of bites. PLine CXX Line is prob close to my favorite on the big lake. It holds up really well.

There are many days up there where it wouldn't matter if you had a spinning reel or baitcaster. IF your more comfortable with a baitcaster, use it. Just make sure it has 8lb-10lb test.

Make sure you keep that line in between your fingers so you can sense the pickup / light bite of a finicky smallie.

All this talk bout smallies make me want to go for my 14th trip of the year to Presque Isle.....hmmz...

#9 ·
You'll see when we get up there Eric, but I'll be using Falcon Lowriders and CountryKat rods matched with Shimano Castaics mostly. I too have found that sensitivity is a key factor on Erie. (You will find out just how nice your Castaic will work for you up there.) Medium to MH works well for me as long as they are sensitive. I'll have a rig or two for crankin' also due to some reports I've been getting from some customers lately...

Good lines to use are Stren Fluorocarbon, Magnaflex, P-line Fluoroclear and CXX. I trust all four.

If you have any Yamamoto Hula Grubs you might want to give them a try up there. Worked well for me last year. (For some unknown reason the Sheephead left those alone.)

#10 ·
Blaise,

Looks like it should be a great weekend weather-wise. Have we determined where we are staying? Crystal Rock or Bayshore Estates? I'm so confused.....

I still have not heard from Will. I emailed him and I do not have his number. Have you talked to him, or pass his number to me so I can call him. When are you heading up. I'm leaving sometime Friday morning. Anyone who wants to hitch along is free to jump on board.

Eric

#11 ·
I'll be heading up right after work tomorrow. Dennis is going up with me since he has to work Friday too. I'll try to get through to you with Will's phone number, or leave it on your v-mail. I sent the directions to Bayshore Estates via email only minutes ago so you should have them directly.

#12 ·
Blaise,

Got your email and v-mail.....thanks again.....didn't call Will as I got the v-mail when I went to work last night, 11 pm. I left early to get some sleep, and I'm sure you'll see me before I leave town at Galyan's. Need some stuff of course!

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.