Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...this totally burns my arse. GE chairman, Jeff Immelt, who is the United States "Job Czar", is moving the headquarters of it's 115 yr old x-ray division to China. Huh? I don't want this to get political but.....did someone forget to tell him WHAT country he was supposed to be creating jobs in? The same company that made 5.1 billion and paid no taxes? I guess you call it "globilization"?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I hear ya man!! I dont really know how to respond beyond that without it turning political though.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Same guy who was instrumental in getting regular Made-In-The-USA light bulbs on the banned list, and is now producing all their new "green" squigglys overseas.

G

·
what is sad about all of this is that general electric paid no taxes again last year in spite of making big profits.

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
This seems to have more to do with corporate greed than politics.

This is pretty much the norm in this country anymore.

I just watched a couple of episodes of Undercover Boss for the first time the other evening. These dirt bags actually try to act like they care about these workers that have to work two jobs/seven days a week to make it.......OK...cameras off...lets get back to screwing our workers so we can buy that beachfront house in the Bahamas.

I can't wait until this (and every other trade sharing venture) backfires on all these companies sharing technology with China. One day. Not all too distant. They will start making imaging machines at their government plant in Beijing and asks GE to leave without so much as a "Thank You".
The Feds already gave them our steel and low end manufacturing. We might as well give them our engineering, aircraft (GE engines) and aerospace industries. I'm sure it will not be long before GE moves their locomotive division there as well. Going to need new trains to move all those cheaply made goods, Right?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I sell parts to the auto mfg's and see it daily! My brother is also in the industry and we were just discussing this last nite. He indicated a buyer from Gov M shared with him a quote from a Chineese competitor that his company was bidding on. The quote from China was higher but was awarded the business. What the hell is going on....? Is it stupidity, tax breaks, incentives we don't know about? Never believed in conspiracy theories but things are just not adding up...........!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now they are moving Avionics to china!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...l-with-china/2011/07/17/gIQAgPmTXJ_story.html

"Under the agreement with AVIC, GE avionics will be on board a new Chinese commercial airliner that is likely to become a rival to aircraft produced by U.S.-based Boeing and Europe’s Airbus. The potential competition with Boeing, coming at a time when the United States is fighting to maintain its own manufacturing base, has stirred some American criticism.

But GE executives say they have had no second thoughts. China’s airplane market is booming, and the deal was too important to pass up, they said, even at the cost of sharing the avionics technology.

“We are all in and we don’t want it back,” said Lorraine Bolsinger, chief executive of GE Aviation Systems. She said new airplanes don’t come along that often, and that the chance to be part of developing a major new aircraft is not to be missed — even if most of the jobs will be in Shanghai or elsewhere in China.

“We don’t sell bananas,” she said in an interview here. “We can’t afford to take a decade off.”

I just added GE to my list of stocks not to own!

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
The shelves of stores in the U.S.A. are packed with products made in China, and will be as long as consumers buy the stuff.
Buy American made and let the Chinese stuff gather dust on the shelves.
Until then it will be too profitable for business sending our jobs overseas, to change their ways.
We as consumers have no one to blame but ourselves.

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Gotta admit that her using that "We don't sell banannas" line was kinda a slap in the face to the public. Does she think people are that stupid? GE gets a pass for some reason yet Wallmart keeps getting hammered in all those anti Wally World commercials and the like. Maybe a group of like minded people outta start an anti GE campaign and put the screws to them. We've already been bombarded with INFERIOR products from China and as soon as they can they'll have folks flying around in their aircraft. Knowing them they'll make 'em outta lead.

·
I am what I eat.
1,627 Posts
If we really want to hit China's pocketbook, we could start buy not buying toys. Most everybody I know with kids have an easy $1000+ in plastic toys piled in a room, that only cost the Chinese about $50 to produce, especially with their "slave" labor. I also wish the average American knew what the average Chinese thought of Americans.

Read up on the Asia-Pacific Free Trade Agreement, where we have agreed to shift from a manufacturing economy into a consumer economy. Did you know we agreed to that?

Nothing more as it becomes political from here.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I think maybe this has gone as far as we can let it go guys for it will certainly get ugly very soon as most are very passionate about the subject matter as we should be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.