close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gator in Summit Lake!

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Erterbass, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Erterbass

Erterbass Ohio Angler

Folks have been talking about the stuff that happens at Summit Lake - but this is the first time anyone has caught a gator out of there! :eek:

This kid has the catch of a lifetime.

Check out this story in today's Beacon...

Bob

2. That's wild! You always hear every summer, about how people catch pirahnas and Oscars - from people who throw pets out after they get too big. Definately that is what happened here!!!!

3. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Maybe next time I'm kayaking Nesmith there won't be a guy SWIMMING LAPS AROUND NESMITH!

That's right folks, FULL IMMERSION in Nesmith (not recommended)

His longevity is seriously threatened already, but now by adding gators to the mix, maybe, just maybe he'll think twice...

4. Just how long could a gator survive in a lake or pond in the Ohio climate? This could become a serious threat to all of us if they could make it through our winters. It's to bad we have people who would rather see a human get injured or killed , just because they want to get rid of their so called pet in this manner. But then the do gooders would probably take the stand that he crawled up here from Florida.

5. that would be a fun catch! Bet he'd put up a HELL of a fight!!!! - (talking about the swimming man..........)

HAHA!!!!

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Hey cheese,
    I almost ran over that guy in the middle of Nesmith in my boat. Luckily for him (and me) we were paying attention motoring across the lake.
    We launched at Summit and took the canal down to Nesmith.

7. That thing is BIG! First I thought ok, maybe a one footer, HOLY CRAP!!!

8. I just seen the paper!! A buddy and I was just there Sunday!!! We were standing in the water by the canal too!! We could have lost a limb or two! We even thought about putting on the waders and wading in a little farther!

9. Theres no way a gator could last thru one of our winters.

10. i will second that the alligator would not survive an Ohio winter. The Gator probably was recently released in the last few months. probably someone who owns a 150 gallon or so tank and it no longer fit. makes sense.
    think of it this way, once the lake freezes how would it eat. or how would it breathe if it were under the water. and if it could not get back in the water we would find it walking around the city. I bet no one notice it:D

And yes, Even Summit lake freezes. It did this year for at the very least 3 weeks. and i think much more then that.

11. Doesn't matter if it freezes or not. It's a cold-blooded animal. Can't survive under 55 degrees or so for any extended period. A couple October evenings an he'd have been a goner....Unless he's got a space heater out there.

12. Hmmm...correcting myself here:

From Everglade National Park website:

Alligators are cold-blooded, which means that their body temperatures fluctuate in response to the temperature of their surroundings. An advantage of being cold-blooded is that little energy needs to be spent in maintaining a high body temperature, and therefore less food is needed. A healthy alligator can go many months without food. Alligators can survive in water temperatures as cold as 36°F (2°C) and as warm as 98°F (38°C), however they function best within a relatively narrow range of temperatures.

However:

Alligators feed most often when temperatures are between 73-90°F (20-23°C).

and:

Nests are constructed by females in June and early July on mounds of high vegetation or raised banks so that the eggs will be above the high water mark. Everglades alligator nests usually contain about 30 eggs. Female alligators do not incubate their eggs by sitting on them as birds do. Instead the construction of the nest helps to maintain a fairly constant incubation temperature and the sex of the babies is determined by the temperature inside the nest during the first 3 weeks of incubation. Eggs at temperatures greater than 91°F (34°C) develop into males. Eggs at less than 85°F (30°C) develop into females. Eggs in between these temperatures develop into either males or females. Hatching occurs in mid-August after about 65 days of incubation.

SOOOOO....

Looks like they can survive down to freezing for some length of time however they couldn't reproduce and would be reluctant to feed.

13. correct me if I'm wrong........but they'd almost go into a state of hibernation, right??

Now - would they need to be above the water before it freezes though, and then I'd think it'd freeze solid!

14. Couldve been making its home in the sewers when it got cold enough

15. Yea...I'd think that being cold-blooded (relying on the air/water temp to regulate body temp) they couldn't survive below freezing for any substantial period. I guess the sewers would be possible assuming that the gator was smart enough to figure that out.

And yes...if they got frozen under the ice they would drown.

Regardless...it's a bit dangerous to children and pets to have 4 foot gators swimming arounf where they aren't supposed to be. Gator meat is pretty good...why throw it away?

16. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Cool story. That kid who caught it is nuts!

17. Somebodies pet got to big to keep around the house, I respect peoples right to have these as pets(even though I sure as hell dont understand the desire) but what I never will get is why people just dump them in the nearest body of water and not give it a second thought, its not fair to the animal as they wont survive the year...and its not fair to the public as these things pose a threat to people, call the zoo and they will probably come get them for free and the animal will get a new home.

18. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Makes you wonder, we know about pirahna, zebra mussels, we know about funky goldfish even squid being caught and now gators. Makes me wonder what else is there that isnt found or reported yet, there are hundreds of rare species in pet stores and in transportation out there.......

19. Last edited: Feb 11, 2011