close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Info Needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Aug 3, 2007.

1. I will be taking the family down to Gatlinburg for a 5 day vacation in a couple of weeks and wold like to find someone who has some info on the area.

We have a cabin already and have read about all the big attractions ie:Dollywood, Ripleys Museums, Dixie Stampede etc. but what I am looking for are the things that only veteran visitors know about if ya know what I mean.

I would love to find somewhere to view wildlife, my problem is that hking is not really an option because we are taking my Mom and she is not up for it.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

2. the fishinf below duglas dam is good. during low water, pan fish---during high, stripers and eyes. my favorite tackel shop is "wishing i was fishing". it's located at the first duglas dam sign as you head north out of town.

there is free trout fishing in gatlineburg, every day except stocking day.

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

You have to drive through Cades Cove. Its an 11 mile loop and you will see alot of deer, big bucks and have a great chance at seeing a bear. And the drive to Cades Cove is scenic as well. One of my favorite places

4. Bassnpro1 nailed this one for you - Cade's Cove is absolutely perfect for what you are looking for. We always make it a point to drive through when we have been in the area. Make sure to take your camcorder because it is loaded with game. Just head straight out of town (Gatlinburg) on the main drag and follow the signs - very easy. There is also a heck of a swimming hole in the park on your way (good trout spot too, but no live bait) on your right hand side as you cross the bridge over the river. There is even a natural sand beach on the river side. We used to swim and cliff jump there when I was @ OSU; good times:)

5. I just got done reading about Cade's Cove and I got the directions. Thanks for the tips.

What really perked my ears was reading that trout fishing is free....

How do I go about taking advantage of the free trout fishing? I did not plan on buying an out of state license, but if I can do some free fishing I am all for it, can you tell me more such as where and how?

Thanks

6. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

7. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

There is also a small flat paved walking trail called the Sugarlands trail just up from the visitors center, but it is in the woods and goes by the mountain stream.

Cades Cove is fantastic, but can be bumper to bumper this time of year so i would go early. Check the fishing info site i gave you and with a little digging they should have some ino on Cades Cove hours and street closures for bicyclists.

Have fun! We just got back today from down there. If you like microbrewery beer, the Smoky Mountain Brewery has good food and beer.