Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new Optimax 90 this past spring. The warranty books talks about being able to use gasoline that has 10% alcohol but says it will increase corrosion of the parts. Is there a fuel that doesn't contain alcohol and i don' have to worry about the corrision?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Catch Photo And Release
2,170 Posts
For me living in columbus, im pretty sure all gas around here has 10 percent ethanol in it. I just fill the tank half way most of the time so it doesn't sit in the tank long. So far i ran it for a year with no problems. My major concern is storing this gas in winter. Yea i add stabilizer to it but have read about ethanol gas phase seperating, there for i do not store my boat with a full tank but take the chance of getting a little condensation. Of course i could store 48 gallons of gas and come spring syphen it out and run in the mower or truck as an option but usually leave 5 gallons in and just add fresh gas in spring. There is a huge topic about ethanol under the mercury forum at www.Bassboatcentral.com Also i was told to run quickcleen fuel additive at least every other tank.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marshall

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I too had a question for Merc., outboards?????? Merc., has a online question thing but I wanted to hear it from the HORSEs MOUTH

I filled out a info;, thing for e-mail questions direct to Merc. Name, address, e-mail address, phone, blah, blah, Was I ever surprized & shocked that a rep; from Merc., called me about 2 hours later, WOW!

My question had to do with the ETHANOL thing????? Their reply was.

ALL MERC., engines since 1984 are constructed/geared to run on 10% ETHANOL & 5% METHANOL BLENDS based on 87% OCTANE RATING. He further stated that it would be a good practice (like stated above in re; to quick clean) to follow inst. & use Merc's 'QUICK CLEAN', Every 2nd or 3rd tank.
Sure its a $$ money thing, why would'nt they PUSH IT? So I went to a Merc., dealer last Thur., & went right in the back to talk to a Marine mech., who I have questioned before about different things. " CHEAP INSURANCE" he said, & it does make a difference.

HEY THE COST OF A CIGAR I CAN HANDLE IT :cool:

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
LOL.no problem.i'm just glad to see i'm not the nly one who does that:D
it's fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts