Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
The end is near
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying no politics in this post. Just the cold, hard facts. Gas was $2.39 a gallon not all that long ago and now it's $4.39 a gallon and climbing. I feel sorry for you all with diesel trucks.
The other day a Tesla passed me and the license plate read, 0CRBN. Well that's no entirely true. Zero carbon indeed. What charged those batteries?
I think the cart's getting ahead of the horse.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I agree Lazy. That driver is simply making a political statement. We are on our second hybrid and they have been great. However, when someone want to engage in those types of conversations, I'm quick to point out that saving money on fuel was my motivation. Remember the days when diesel was way cheaper than gas? The VW Rabbits were at the top of the list when it came to cheap transportation. Everything is getting more expensive now because of the cost of fuel to transport everything that comes in a truck.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
neighbor put up a rd. sign made for his driveway "no frackin way," his long winding blacktop driveway, where an SUV and truck are parked at the end, both which are electric I'm sure :eek: and that blacktop must've magically just appeared by the electric fairy

·
'Super Moderator'
13,889 Posts
There's talk of it doubling by mid-summer driving season. What surprises me is how fast things just went to crap
Not really a surprise at all.
I'm thinkin it's right on schedule.
Wait until about this fall when we start really feeling the affects of the history setting insanely high fuel prices at the grocery stores. When we do start feeling them at the grocery store...please don't blame the farmers. Just remember...they are currently paying insane $ for fuel to put our crops in the ground just like we are.

·
The end is near
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
neighbor put up a rd. sign made for his driveway "no frackin way," his long winding blacktop driveway, where an SUV and truck are parked at the end, both which are electric I'm sure :eek: and that blacktop must've magically just appeared by the electric fairy
Yea, the electric fairy of fossil fuels. What heated the blacktop? Solar? Wind?
I'm just saying, they got the cart before the horse.
Now I'm not down on solar or wind power. I think they're cool. But have the infrastructure in place first. It'd be like having a bank of batteries to run your home and charging them with a gas powered generator?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeah I really don't care for the do-gooders that think they're saving the world and then feel the need to belittle you for not doing the same. After doing a lot of research on EV's, yes they do help the environment to some extent, yes they are more energy efficient to an extent, yes they can be a useful tool for some people's requirements. Bottom line is it's just transportation and we're not changing the world or anything. I'm fortunate that I have the ability to have an extra car because one added benefit that I didn't anticipate is giving the oil companies the big FU when gas prices go up like they are now.

Kip

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Let me start by saying no politics in this post. Just the cold, hard facts. Gas was $2.39 a gallon not all that long ago and now it's $4.39 a gallon and climbing. I feel sorry for you all with diesel trucks.
The other day a Tesla passed me and the license plate read, 0CRBN. Well that's no entirely true. Zero carbon indeed. What charged those batteries?
I think the cart's getting ahead of the horse.
And to think, just 14 months ago we were totally energy independent. Remember, energy independence IS national security. I’m just sayin’

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lazy,

Was driving daughter to her day program in the rich northeast of Cincy. Saw similar tesla with OH license TAX CRBN, and thought "Won't you surprised if they tax your carbon footprint for building and charging that vehicle! And who do you suppose is footing the "infrastructure" to fix the road you use with you vehicle that's twenty percent heavier than my 30mpg 2012 Focus that pays tax by the gallon?"

Nuclear, oil, natural gas made electricity that made this country the industrial giant it once was. Make it Great Again.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
We all cry about the high gas prices. Yea, it hits us in the wallet, hard ! A lot of us are starting to make sacrifices , maybe choices, what can I afford ? I can't afford to golf and drive an hour to go fishing this week. But the real economy killer is the price of diesel fuel. EVERYTHING you own came by some type of diesel vehicle, be it semi or train. Wanna see things really go off the rails ? Wait until diesel hits 8-10 bucks a gallon. A lot of us will be lucky to be able to eat, let alone fish and golf. I thank God I was able to put a half side of beef in my freezer before things started getting really bad. Even that , along with the processing , went way up from last year.
Wait until about this fall when we start really feeling the affects of the history setting insanely high fuel prices at the grocery stores. When we do start feeling them at the grocery store...please don't blame the farmers. Just remember...they are currently paying insane $ for fuel to put our crops in the ground just like we are.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yea, the electric fairy of fossil fuels. What heated the blacktop? Solar? Wind?
I'm just saying, they got the cart before the horse.
Now I'm not down on solar or wind power. I think they're cool. But have the infrastructure in place first. It'd be like having a bank of batteries to run your home and charging them with a gas powered generator?
Isn't that what they're doing now ? Don't we get most of our electricity from coal fired plants ?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
On the news tonight they reported "we're from the government and we're here to help "lower" prices". Yeah, right. We are screwed until at least 2024. Stopping inflation should have started 18 months ago or sooner. Gonna be tough riding my bicycle 16 miles one way to work. Did it to high school sports practices but that was 46 yrs ago. Venezuela, here we go...

If we all get electric cars then there is not gas tax money to fix the roads, kinda stupid isn't it?????
Some states are taxing EV registrations at two to three times the rate of fuel powered vehicles for that very reason. EV owners are pissed about that. Oh, well. Wanna play, gotta pay.

·
The end is near
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
D
And also this fall we'll feel the effects of the fertilizer shortage. You'll feel that at the supper table and your shrinking waistline.

·
Just practicing my cast
5,993 Posts
Gas ⛽ is still the life line for us to get to work take your friends out boating and fishing 🎣 my neighbor that has little kids and one is in bad shape she is going to the hospital 3 times a week plus she just got a Divorce from a Deadbeat husband. My wife and I have been helping them out. It’s just BS that they can’t open up the pipe line and oil fracking again!!!!!! We most likely would see Cheaper gas prices immediately after it got start back up …. Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If we all get electric cars then there is not gas tax money to fix the roads, kinda stupid isn't it?????
When I bought my first hybrid, I got a hefty tax credit for buying a fuel efficient vehicle. Now, I pay an extra $100 for my license plate to make up for the gas tax I didnt pay...... coming full circle!

Here's one of the big motivators for what we are seeing...... federal mandates on fuel economy improvements. EV vehicles drive the average up.

check this out: Corporate Average Fuel Economy | NHTSA

An excerpt from the article.... "standards that would require an industry-wide fleet average of approximately 49 mpg for passenger cars and light trucks in model year 2026, by increasing fuel efficiency by 8% annually for model years 2024 and 2025, and 10% annually for model year 2026."

and to address the lack of infrastructure..... those mandates just say "make the vehicles to our standards", the auto makers aren't in charge of the infrastructure!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts