close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gasket?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by twistertail, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Anyone ever use that gasket seal stuff? Not sure exactly what its called but the stuff that is liquid and you use it instead of a gasket and when it dries its like a rubber gasket. I took the carb off my motor and was going to use that stuff instead of getting a new gasket.

2. I could be wrong on this one but in my opinion the gasket stuff will work okay if you are in a pinch or don't mind redoing if necessary. But if I can find the gasket I will opt for that every time of the gasket maker material.

3. RTV is the stuff I'm talking about.

Thanks bkr. I just dont know where to find a gasket for my old motor.

4. I would think a marine shop could either get it for you or put you in the right direction. Perhaps some guys here have a good suggestion for where to look.

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

RTV=Room Temperture Vinyl. I agree with Brian on this one. RTV isn't designed to be used as a gasket. Even the form-a-gasket isn't what it's cracked up to be. I'd recommend using a universal gasket kit, availiable at most automotive parts stores. Use the component you intent to seal as a template and cut it out with a utility knife. Also use some Mr. gasket for additional sealing and you should be go to go...! :D

6. I believe the RTV stuff says do not use with gasoline or something like that. I was going to use the same thing but read that and decided against it. I got some gasket paper at Advance Auto for like $5 for more than I will ever use. Autozone wanted like $10 for the same amount of paper. You could probably use the RTV stuff to seal the gasket but I would get the gasket paper.

7. Hey thanks guys. The gasket paper was going to be my next question. Does that stuff come in different thickness? If so what size should I get?

8. Yes it does come in different thicknesses. I can't remember what size I got. There were two sizes I could choose from. If you go to Napa they might have a couple of different sizes. I had 2 thicknesses to choose from and then two lengths and widths to choose from. I was told not to get cork since it will be in gas. I want to say that I got 5/16 but that just seems too thick. I could be wrong.

9. So what is the stuff made of that you got?

10. Now you're asking me to remember too much. I'm not sure what it's made of. I know it's a dark gray color.

11. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

More than likely, it's a compressed paper fiber material. Wood if you will. :D