close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gas Prices (country in a mess)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fletch, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

What can we do about the outrageous gas prices? The increases in gas prices is out of line in my opinion. Heck it goes up several cents every day it seems like.
    In a previous post (country in a mess) people mentioned buying American. I am all for it and I will do my best to buy American. When will we wake up and realize that we are bringing it on ourselves when we buy foreign products. Think about your kids, what is America going to offer them when they are our age, and their children? Think about your children the next time you go to make a purchase. I know that we get a lot of our oil from overseas but that isn't going to change. The fact is, those countries are putting it to us and we have to cut back where we can. I'm going to do my best to drive my little car instead of my half ton truck also. This alone isn't going to solve our problems with gas prices, but if more people would do the same it would make a big difference.
    We need to write our politicians and tell them that we are fed up with all this outsourcing. Make it financially impossible for these companies that outsource to continue their current business practices. Now I hate to name a store but walmarts is one of the worst. I really liked shopping at that place but I refuse to do business with them any longer.
    Now I make an ok salary and I'm feeling the effects, what the heck are people that are making minimim wage or lower wages going to do? Who knows how long I (and others) are going to keep our jobs? We may be the next ones making minimum wage.
    Heck, we'll be outsourcing homeland securty before long!
    Stand up Americans. Let's make a stand and make life better for ourselves and our children.

2. Buy oil stocks, drive smaller cars, then pay.
    It's not worth getting bent out of shape over something that we have little control over.
    Think of your own health.
    Yes write, yes complain etc then go on with life as it is dealt to us.
    Things could be a lot lot worse.

3. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Oh it's gonna get worse for sure.
    I agree that you can't worry about it to the point that you go nuts. But if you and i ignore it, it will never get better.

4. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Right, we can't do anything about gas prices. What's even worse than paying 50 bucks for a fillup is these prices are going to put a damper on the whole economy - more layoffs.... :( Blame OPEC, but the growth in China is what is hurting supplies.

Our only means of protest - quit buying Arab oil. This means finally getting away from gas fueled vehicles, the technology is there but it needs to go mainstream.

The good thing - now you can sit back and laugh at all the city folk driving those SUPER SIZE SUV's for groceries and paying 70 dollars for every fill up.

5. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Not only will the prices of gas impact me in regards to my having to fill up 3 times per week in my truck as I commute to work, but this is definatley gonna hurt me in the pocket book when it comes time to fill my gas guzzling boat motor.

Look to see me more on the electric only lakes this year.

flash------------------------------out

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

It sucks for sure.

Brings up a point...I used to be pretty easy going about having guys I take out on the boat pitchin in for gas. If they did, great, if not, no biggie (I always offer gas money when I'm on someone else's rig...just a common courtesy). At over $2/gallon, I hate to say that there will be no free rides this year.

7. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Good point B, I have always told everyone who every went
    fishing with me all I except is don't p*! in my boat and you
    pay for 1/2 the gas used. It sounded fare to me and my buds
    but now its almost a must.

8. Currently, there are several forms of technology that can help in easing the price we pay for fuel. One is hybrid vehicles like the Prius and Civic. These are more common than ever. Yes, they are more expensive but the gov't gives big tax breaks to people who drive them. Chevy dropped their plans for electric assisted fuel delivery to dive into hydrogen cell technology. And what's even more interesting is that Chevy has decided to use these more with large vehicle like trucks and SUV's rather than with small cars like Toyota and Honda has. The technology Chevy is working on is targeted for 2008.

But as was mentioned, China's sudden need for fuel and a growing economy (think 1 billion people who need gas for cars) is the reason supply is low. The law of supply and demand (the essential aspect of capitalism) states that if you have a lot of something, you can sell it cheaply. If you don't have a large supply, it will sell for much, much more. Which brings me to ethanol.

Etahnol as we all know is a corn-based fuel not much unlike oil. All cars could run on it, but companies like Ford with their FFV vehicles are designed to run on a higher concentration of it. Corn, as we all know, is easily grown here in the USA. It is a RENEWABLE resource, meaning we can grow as much of it as we like, year after year. Does anyone remember the early '80s when stockpiles of corn went to waste in KS and NE? I do, and those piles were taller than houses and buildings in those states. A lot of people say that ethanol cannot be produced any more cheaply than gasoline. Which is true at start-up, but remember another essential rule of capitalism. If you have soething for sale for $2.19 a gallon and I have something else just like it....guess what happens. Supply goes up, demand goes down, and the price per unit goes down. It's the theory Wal-mart lives and thrives on.

Word to the wise, use this enthusiasm to write your congressmen and tell them you want alternative fuel technology like ethanol. I know there are 5 to 6 plants scheduled to open in Ohio in the next 5 to 10 years. One will be near Cadiz, Ohio near where I used to live. Also, only 5% of the world's wasted fuel comes from automobile use, i.e. big trucks and SUVs. 30 % cxomes from residential energy loss like drafty windows and doors, improper insulation, and the like.

Eric

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

In Brasil they sell straight ethanol and gasoline at the gas stations. Their ethanol is a waste product from the production of sugar. You see no difference in a car's performance when it runs on straight ethanol compared to gasoline.
    The ethanol is quite a bit cheaper than gas at the pump (probably govt. subsidies).
    Their reasoning is that ethanol produces less pollution and it reduces their reliance on foreign oil imports.

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I notice that alot of people blame China for our high gas prices. I see nobody blaming our American oil companies. They haven't built a refinery in decades. We are at our current refining capacity and there ain't no room for more.

Besides the lengthy environmental impact studies, the hundreds of different reformulated gasoline grades required in many different parts of the country and the NIBY attitude of people, this problem is just going to continue.
    I read that we are importing up to 20% of our refined gasoline because our refineries cannot keep up with the demand.
    It just no longer profitable for many types of heavy industry to be located in our country.
    I'm not blaming Exxon or any other company. They will put their capital expenditures where they will make the most bang for their buck. With the long timelines for building new facilities and the wildly fluctuating price of gas it's just not worth the risk for them.

11. We need to do something as a nation but it looks like the big money in oil really is where the buck stops... If the oil giants would be able to make huge profits from another energy source they would but they cannot be part of the solution when they are part of the problem...
    This may sound nuts but what we need is someone like Bill Gates who has the money to go after an alternate energy source and make it work without the help of oil giants and car MFG's...
    Someone needs to step up to the plate and it won't be those who are making the money from oil or our auto industry...
    As far as using Etahnol that idea needs to get back to the front burner hell we still pay farmers NOT to plant some crops and are wasting land and valuble resources to boot...

12. I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up the refineries!In the past when a Oil co.wanted to build one,everbody wanted it built somewhere else???Hybrid cars are not the answer either.We will all pay for it now!Good luck to all :rolleyes:

13. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Very good info Eric. I will write my congressman and let him know how I feel. I encourage you all to do the same.

14. I just wrote my congressman and told him I was very unhappy and that I'll be unemployed in another week!Add another to welfare!Tired of trying to do it the right way!

15. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

CORn, CORN, CORN, CORN. I agree with the corn idea.

I whole-heartedly disagree with the BUY AMERICAN idealogogy. Scorn me if you must, but I don't buy that argument one bit. I've made my reasons known, and I'm not going to argue it - but don't blame high prices on this Buy American BS - the argument just doesn't hold true.

Its about greed.

16. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I don't think that the high fuel prices are related to wether we buy American or not. That was brought up in regards to American jobs being lost to foreign competition.

Corporations are held accountable by their shareholders and board of directors who demand profits. By outsourcing to foreign companies(predominately china) they succeed in meeting revenue targets. The only real problem I see with that is one day when enough Americans are out of work, who will be left to buy our corporations products. Not the chinese, their gov't doesn't recognize such things as patents or trademarks especially ours. When the time comes that our companies are looking to sell their products to them they'll just buy from themselves, they already make it,and shut us out.

I'll continue to BUY AMERICAN when I can, if I save one fellow Americans job then I've done what I feel is the right thing. I gave 4 years of my life to the USMC so that WE ALL have the right to believe how we want to.
    Oh Yeah, I caught a saugeye today at Buckeye Lake, I'm going to eat it for lunch tomorrow, along with some butter fried morels!!!
    Life is GOOD!

17. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Right we can't blame China, the current situation was just aggravated by the demand there. No, we can only blame ourselves. How many people remember sitting in gas lines 30 years ago. Seems like that would have taught us a lesson.

Quote from Truck:

Hybrid cars are not the answer either.

They might not be the answer but something that gets 30-50mpg can't hurt. But I agree Ethanol or hydrogen seems like a much better solution, hybrids are just a patch.

One other thing, have you noticed that when gas prices soar so do Oil companies profits. This tells me they are NOT just raising gas prices to compensate for higher oil prices, they are raising gas prices higher than they have to - otherwise profits would remain roughly the same. They are taking advantage of the situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  18. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Like I said, its called greed.

Greed keeps us from developing hydrogen and ethonal dependant vehicles. Greed keeps the price of hybrid vehicles way above sticker and the supply low. You remember how they did with the PT Cruisers and Mini Coopers.

The hybrids are a complete joke, but thats purely opinion. i don't think there are enough of them out there to help. Those 30-50mpg estimates you see are for pure highway driving. City driving will not improve your mileage enough to justify the cost of the vehicle. That is a FACT. The technology pretty much works that at cruising speeds the electric motor takes over and therefore reduces the demand for the gas driven motor which in turns greatly reduces fuel consumption. If you a starting and stopping frequently you are STILL using the GAS powerd motor to generate the amount of torque and hp required to move a 3000-4000lb vehicle. There are already vehicles made and that HAVE BEEN made that get 50mpg without the assistance of hybrid technology. They were a fad too.

Oh, and I'll buy American if its the best quality for the money, but about half the time its not. Its all relative, ladies and gentlemen. Take an advanced economics course and you'll see that buying "non-domestic" goods doesn't always mean that americans are losing money and/or jobs. While a manufacturing job was taken away when a plant closed, a distribution position was created to ship in new goods. And so on down the line.

Sorry if I offended anyone here, but the truth is some times hard to swallow.

19. I didn't take an economics class and it doesn't take a genius to figure out the new jobs created are lower paying jobs and are not replacing the higher paying jobs lost is in fact a direct link to imports...
    Imports are filling our ports with goods and creating jobs I'll reluctantly agree but when the first freighter blows up and those ports are restricted with tighter security then the goods we're waiting on become higher priced causing another spike in prices and inflation... We have already held up frieghters/ports and that has already caused a spike in prices...
    I work at a freezer warehouse that supplies a huge food service company and before NAFTA all the produce came from Ca, Or, Wa, Ga, Fl and so on American grown... But after they all and I do mean all come from Central America and South America with some Euro goods along with China tossed in... This company never lowered prices on the low cost it was paying for this commerce but we the consumer still feel the pinch... Look in your grocery store and you'll see more and more produce from other countries but your not seeing a lower bill at the check out counter... Profits are going to comeback and bite us all in the A$$ and our kids are going to pay a huge price in quality of life due to our inability to control our inert need for the all mighty dollar and in some ways we're all to blame be it from purchasing non-American made products to the gas guzzling vehicles we drive and our wasteful habits...
    I don't think the cycle of waste will ever end and that will add to our downward spiral as a world power... money = power
    Buy all the goods you want mfg'd overseas and your are part of the problem not the solution and that is fact no matter how you try to justify it...

20. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

At the end of the day we are ALL still Americans. Some of us have a different point of view and that is what made this country great. We as people of this earth owe it to future generations to practice conservation and self preservation. There are some truly unique ideas and opinions shared here and I enjoy reading them all, some I may disagree with somewhat but points are generally clarified and based on a belief which the individual as an American is entitled to. I am as guilty as the next guy/gal of reading or hearing something and reacting to it wether it be a magazine article, news report, etc. The old saying, believe nothing you read, nothing you hear and only half what you see is still good wisdom to live by. We are bombarded with news continually and it rolls out at an extremely fast rate, so fast we have little time to digest it and truly seek out the facts. In a gov't class I took at school the professor was convinced that news has a psychological effect and is used by the gov't to that effect. Get people to focus on one or two topics and they will tend to forget other more important issues. While we are discussing outsourcing and gas prices what other things are slipping by?

Now after all of that, I say I agree with the statement that the hybrids are just a temporary fix. There just has to be something besides the internal combustion engine that could power an automobile. What powers plant growth, gets us up every day and makes us go. There is a much more powerful force out there and it involves research to find ways to harness it to our advantage. One day there will be no more oil to fight over, what then, will we all just stop and return to throwing spears, I think not.

Keep thinking everyone, YOU may be the one to find a solution to the worlds problems.
    Thank you all for your opinions and comments, wether I agree or not entirely, I enjoy them.