close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gas Prices Around The World

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chuck P., Jun 3, 2004.

1. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Gas prices around the world
    Think you pay a lot for gas? Perhaps you'd prefer to live in Venezuela.

Gasoline prices in the United States, which have recently hit record highs, are actually much lower than in many countries. A few countries, like Venezuela have prices that are far lower.

The main driver of price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.

In Venezuela, on the other hand, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said. All prices updated May, 2004.

Nation City Price

UK TEESIDE $5.64
    HONG KONG HONG KONG $5.62
    UK MILFORD HAVEN $5.56
    UK READING $5.56
    UK NORWICH $5.54
    GERMANY FRANKFURT $5.29
    DENMARK COPENHAGEN $5.08
    NORWAY STAVANGER $5.07
    NORWAY OSLO $4.93
    ITALY ROME $4.86
    TURKEY ISTANBUL $4.85
    PORTUGAL LISBON $4.80
    KOREA SEOUL $4.71
    SWITZERLAND GENEVA $4.56
    KOREA KOJE/OKPO $4.53
    AUSTRIA VIENNA $4.50
    CROATIA ZAGREB $4.32
    JAPAN TOKYO $3.84
    AUSTRALIA SYDNEY $2.63
    CAMBODIA PHNOM PENH $2.57
    TAIWAN TAIPEI $2.47
    GEORGIA TBILISI $2.31
    LAOS VIENTIANE $1.66
    THAILAND BANGKOK $1.60
    CHINA TIANJIN $1.54
    CHINA SHANGHAI $1.48
    RUSSIA MOSCOW $1.45
    KAZAKHSTAN ALMATY $1.36
    KAZAKHSTAN ATYRAU $1.35
    TAJIKISTAN DUSHANBE $1.32
    AZERBAIJAN BAKU $1.15
    VENEZUELA CARACAS $0.14

2. 14 cents a gallon would be pretty nice!;)

3. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

i see they raised the price of their gas it used to be about 8 cents a gallon, crooks..........lol................ :cool:

4. You could drive downt there for a fill up! It always makes me laugh when I here of people driving 30 minutes out of the way and waiting in a line for an hour to save 2 cents a gallon on gas.

5. Better yet are the people who complain about gas prices rising and then go and drop $20 on lotto tickets for which they have about a 1/10 million shot of winning. Let's compare....price of gas goes up by $.30/gallon. Let's say we fill up with 20 gallons (20 gallons X .$30) = $6.00 more to fill up. We gripe and complain about that but see no issue with essentially "giving up" $20. Increasing gas prices are frustrating....seeing people blow money on the lottery keeps me shaking my head :confused: .

6. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

one thing i will never do is worry about the price of gas, everything goes up just look at milk it just went up again and heck we drink a big glass of milk and 1 hour later we are standing at the toilet expelling it down the drain, i know theres a lot of people who are just making it in life and an increase in the price of fuel hurts them and i do feel bad for them but for me when i start worrying and complaining about gas prices i,ll stop driving and sell the truck so without a truck i can,t pull the boat so i,ll sell it to and buy a pair of waders and get back to my roots which is wading the local rivers and shore walking, i,ll stop cutting the grass i,ll stop riding my scooter heck theres nothing left to to but complain that with the price of gas i had to sell everthing...........lol............ but honestly i realize we all have different situations in life and gas prices are going to affect some people a lot more than others............. :cool:

7. my costs go up so do my prices. even if you bike to work you'll be hit by the higher cost. it's not a good thing.

8. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

9. I had just heard something the other day that the prices were still not as high as they were in 1980 but they are starting to get close.

10. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

This doesn't make me want to pay $2.08.9 a gallon anymore then I wanted to before reading this..... ;)

While I was in Canada last fall gas prices there were somewhere near the $1.50ish a litter range. It's a little under 4 litters to every gallon, so about $6.00 a gallon there. Most of that is tax, if that makes you feel any better about paying it.

Also, I say support John Kerry and his 50 cent gas tax cause we are not paying enough!!!!!

11. catking

catking Banned

Gas was never $2 a gallon in 1980, or any other year for that matter. This is the first year we have ever seen $2 a gallon around this area. California has had high prices for years. CATKING

12. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I don't recall it ever being $2 a gallon either, but I do suppose if you figure inflation into the picture it would have been around that. I am also not old enough to remember the early 80's as I wasn't born till 81. :eek:

Good news is that OPEC has decided to increase the ammount of oil produced by 2 million barrels a day or 8%, so that should bring the price down some for the summer. I'm guess the $1.80 range will be the lowest we see it again.

13. catking

catking Banned

Counting inflation. 1973 would have been the highest we ever had I do believe. We were used to gas being 35cents a gallon, then the oil embargo hit. Gas " soared" over a dollar a gallon :eek: :D It will come down again, and I believe we will see 1.29 or so again by winter. CATKING

14. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I don't think we will see the $1.30 range until the hybrid market takes off and we become less dependent on oil.

They know we need it. They know we will pay for it. It's business to charge what you think you can get for something, and they know they can get around $2.00 a gallon. So "giving" us 10% is being nice.

15. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I remember my father in-law talking about his dad who remembered gas being a dime a gallon but he didn't have a dime. When it was a dollar a gallon he had enough money to buy all he wanted.

I remember $.35 a gallon and had trouble scraping up a buck to buy it, now it's 2 bucks and I fill up every time. It's all perspective.

16. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Been nice knowing ya guys, I'm moving to this Venezuala place :D

17. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I've been thinking real hard about buying one of those gas/electic hybrid-ugly- as- heck, 60mpg cars.........Or a motorcycle :D