Gas dryer tripping GFI....??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by smallieguy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

I have a 2 year old GE gas dryer that until sunday has never given me any problems.
    Sunday I put a load in and turn it on and by the time I get to the basement stairs
    I hear a pop and the dryer stops. What the? I says.
    The GFI popped. I reset it and start the dryer again and it runs for 10 minutes and stops again.
    I figure o.k. maybe that 15+ year old GFI has had it
    so off the the hardware store I go for a new one. All changed out and hit the switch,
    off she goes and I make for the stairs and pop. ?????????
    Reset and try again, 15 minutes go by. pop.
    Reset again and again, there is no pattern to it. It will go for 40 seconds to 20 minutes
    but sooner or later it pops the GFI and stops.
    Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

2. You've got a short somewhere if you replaced the GFI. I had a problem like this once and it was the GFI. Have you added anything to this line recently? Is it copper line or aluminum? You find a lot of problems like this if you mix the two.

I can't offer you an answer but be careful! I've heard of houses burning down from someone running a nail into a wall and hitting a line. Although it didn't do anything right at the time, the nail kept working enough to where it created a real short that sparked and created a flame.

I'm sure someone a whole lot smarter then me will come along that can offer some real advise. (Not real hard to be smarter then me).

Best of luck!

3. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

What else is plugged into the gfi? Plug just your washer in and run. If it runs ok, than the problem is with your dryer. If it trips, than you got a wire problem somewhere. Any outlet that shares that circuit can cause it to trip.

4. smallieguy

Only the washer and dryer are on this line. 20 amp breaker, line goes from
    breaker box to 2x4 box with GFI. Washer runs fine, never any issues.
    All copper lines and nothing has been added any where. Dang thing just
    started gettin goofy.
    Many thanks for the help fishingguy and seapro, some online research
    has lead me to think its either the motor or the ignition system over
    amping.

5. Rednek

Rednek "The Widow's Son"

I would suspect the motor. Have you tried running the dryer without any clothes in it, thus creating a lesser load on the drive motor?

Do you have an Amp clamp that you could check the current draw of the motor?

Have you checked for loose connections, especially spade connectors?

Is the plug hot when it trips the GFI? Have you checked resistance of the plug when it trips the GFI?

6. I had one in my old house that did the same thing. It was the ignition. Check it to see if the filament is good, and not loose.

7. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Also check the bushing and roller assemblies in the dryer drum.
    Is it difficult to turn?
    Any binding here would also cause the motor to draw too many amps.

8. Why is your dryer on an gfci? Is it next to a slop sink or something? The gfi is designed to trip at any change in current. It happens alot when the load(appliance) becomes less efficient with age. There just may be no problem with your dryer at all. Is it smoking, making noise, ect....... Just something to think about.

9. smallieguy

Thanks again for all the help fellas. I got her figured out, a wire
    rubbing on the drum and shorting out.
    Tha dryer is on the same GFI as the washer, code says a GFI is to be used
    if a water source is within 6' of an outlet.