Garfield Park Mentor

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by For my Son, Jul 2, 2008.

1. For my Son

For my Son Fish to enjoy time with my boy.

I took my two sons (ten and three) fishing. We caught so many fish my three year old was entertained for 3hours!!! My older son caught a real nice sized snapper and a smaller one as well. He wanted to keep it to make turtle soup but as I have not idea how to make turtle soup we cut it loose. Then he caugth the thing again. In all it was like 8 times. Everytime he dropped the bait(hotdogs) into this paticular hole he came up with this ticked off snapper.

It was such a good time!! As usual I forgot the camera so I dont have pics. I am going to have to buy a camera and stick in my TB so I dont forget.:p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
    mike003 likes this.
  2. Hey were is garfield park located, and what kind of fish did you guys catch there.Is there any other kid frendly fishing spots in mentor?

3. sounds like a good time! its by the great lakes mall...

Is there any other kid frendly fishing spots in mentor?

Veterans Memorial Park is pretty good for kids TONS of blue gill on Hopkins rd..

4. For my Son

The lagoons are good sometimes. Belflower park has a watershed that has a ton of small and medium LM bass. Presidents Park has a lot of panfish and bullheads.

5. Veterans Park off 615 (Hopkins) is great for kids.

I caught 2 decent catfish there last night, and my brother has landed a couple nice bass. That being said, it can be fun for the adults too.

6. Thanks for all the info guys... I reallly appreciate it.

7. Try this for the catfish, works for my grand kids. I do not know if the Kool Aid is just to get color. The hot dogs do absorb all the color and become blood red.

Not my original recipe.

I keep a supply in a glass canning jar, instead of just an overnight soak.

Catfish Chunk Bait

Make your own chunk baits by slicing inexpensive hot dogs into 1-inch pieces and putting them in a plastic tub. Add a package of*strawberry Kool-Aid*(unsweetened) and 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. Fill the tub with water and allow the wieners to marinate overnight. Hook. Cast. Fish. Catch.

8. Did you mainly catch gills?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  9. For my Son

We haven't fished there in years. The pond is very silty and we got skunked the last time we went. We catch a ton of gills at veterans.

10. Any carp in presidents park?