close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

garden question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hardwaterfan, Feb 5, 2008.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

after a few years of having my own garden im starting to develop my own preferences of "old reliables". (early girl and better boy for tomatoes, jalepeno early and hungarian for hot peppers, sweet hungarian peppers, etc. are some of my old reliables)

one question for you home gardeners, what would you consider your "old reliable" bell pepper variety to be?

im looking for a bell pepper, that is reliable and puts out some quantity. they have to be fairly large but not huge, for my wife to make stuffed peppers. just regular sized like you can buy in the store.

(i start everything from seed so i am not limited to whatever the stores have)

2. California Wonder has been my Sweet Pepper of choice the past 10 years or so.
    Nice size fruits, produces well, resists mosts sicknesses.
    Excellent flavor when we get the proper weather for them.
    Try some HillBilly tomatoes this year.
    They cant be matched in flavor and production.

3. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

I know you not asking about tomatos but I can't resist. lol Have you tried the "Lemon boys" or "Mr. Stripeys"? I also do early girls. Last year I tried "sweet 100's" for the 1 st time and they were awesome. I will have to ask the wife what bell peppers we have been putting out.

4. I second the California Wonders. And at least in my soil it makes a big difference to feed the plants some as they are strengthening. Once the peppers start producing you will have an abundant supply of sweet peppers.

I can't argue with your choice of tomatoes as far as table stock but I have others that I use for canning purposes. The early girl and better boys are just too high in water content for canning IMO. I have used them and end up squeezing out a lot of water but it still does not make as good of a juice when done.

As far as hot peppers, I have been doing the jalapenos and this year did habaneros. I think I will put out a couple of other styles and the hungarian sweet peppers is one that is on my list.

5. hardwaterfan

i always try a lot of different varieties, my garden is 1/4 for food and 3/4 for fun. im always trying some off-the-wall things. i had outstanding success with the lemon boys but my wife didnt care for the color. i thought they were really cool.

ill have to try a few cali wonders then. any others? i love the hungarian sweet peppers for fresh picking. outstanding production. so tasty. but the wrong shape for stuffed peppers. she still makes them with whatever we have but she asked for regular shaped ones.

the best tasting tomato i have grown so far was called "super marmande". i dont remember where i got the seed from.

6. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

I use to plant California Bell peppers.wonder if the California Wonder is same.they where great ones.I just got seeds from perpees and grew the transplants my self.I had a big garden and planted 3 to 4 dozen each year.plus lot other stuff. used fish guts as fertilizer. plus carp and cats.these made best stuff peppers you can make. thick wall pepper is why it made the best stuff peppers.

7. Good tip I learned years ago.
    Till in some Bone Meal before planting. I planted 6 plants last year and picked over 50 softball sized peppers.
    The old guy that showed me this had an amazing garden. His Jalapeno plants were 5 feet high and had to be staked when the pepppers set on.

8. Looking for any tips on starting a veg garden from scratch. We have plenty of room for a backyard garden but very poor soil (shale/clay). The whole idea of building up the soil has intimidated me for years.

9. Find a local farmer that can bring in some manure (well aged is best) for starters. This will help break up the clay as well as add necessary nutrients. I have done this to my garden the last 2-3 years and it has really helped.

10. the secret is the soil! Go out and get some Gypsum, and organic matter. Start working the ground as soon as possible. (like early last fall would have been best). Have your soil tested, it most likley will need some lime. you will fight the weeds for a few years but if you get them when they are small, they will not reseed. Goodluck!

11. Eriesteamer

You will not get good results first year or 2.You need lime the spot.plus use lot leaves in fall.but not oak leaves.yep horse manueir work.takes to long break down. Cow you can use rite away.Same for pig crap.fresh hores manueir is hot only half digested.will burn plants. needs be piled up till it stops burning.back to lime theres to types.hot and regular.you need use regular the hot will burn plants.I think the one you need is agraculture type. the hot type will work best but needs wait a year or 2 for it to break down.I used carp, cat fish as fertilizer.every time I got some I barry it between rows for next year.man I had a big turn out.

12. Thanks. Unfortunately where I live I can't just bury fish parts without it ringing the coyote & coon dinner bell. Constructing a heavy duty cage for compost has been on my to do list almost as long as the garden has...lol

13. Something I found out is planting east to west. Itll give your plants even sun. We used to bring bell plants inside during winter. Theyll grow to 6ft tall with stalks as big as your fist. Trick is getting them to produce! As far as compost. LEAVES! Rack them in the fall and till in the spring. They will keep the ground thaw so your organics will work through the winter and not when you plant. Keeps the heat down.;)

14. Eriesteamer

If those animals be a problem. heres way to go.spread lime over the crap( fish crap) you barry. they will not try eat it.the lime will kill the smell.and how they they know whats under it. if you think they eat lime try some your self.the lime ( if hot type ) and regular help break down guts,carp,what ever. even garbage can be done this way.

15. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

My yard was almost solid rock when I moved in 8 yrs ago. I rototil it every spring and fall. I put the plants in and cover with grass clippings to about 2-4" deep, it helps keep weeds out, keeps for 3 to 5 days after watering or rain and turns into compost in the fall when I turn it in the fall. And I bury every fish carcass I get. Dig a trench, drop in the fish and cover. My dirt is now very black and anything grows. I plant many of the things that people mentioned, especially peppers, usually 5-7 types, hot, mild, sweet, jalapeno and sometimes habaneros. But the favorite among the kids is the pear tomatoes, they look just like romanos, but called pear. Whereas cherry tomatoes get ripe, you must pick immediately or they split open. These can turn red and a week later you can pick them and they are ok! You people will find this hard to believe, as I usually have to prove it to people, but my green pepper plants have grown 6' + tall. I have to stake them up. Net what I meant to tell you, is to get yourself a compost tumbler. I bought mine3 yrs ago. I'll open it up and it smells like manure. When I spread it, I get neighbors blocks away complain. The law comes and says, "Well, there really isn't much we can do about it!":D I love it. I have to listen to that darned music rattle my windows at 3am, they can kiss my backside!!!! Do a search for "Compost Tumbler" and I think that is their brandname, out of PA. To me, it's well worth the money. Had to weld it once because I overloaded it....
    Also, every last piece of organic waste either goes in the tumbler, or in the winter it goes right on the garden:egg shells, all green matter, coffee grounds and our family is big, so there is alot. I have half a dozen people that give me all the grass clippings, they go on the garden and/or in the bumbler.

16. hardwaterfan

ive gone through something simlar to what snake just described. my soil was awful. pure orangish clay and rocks. tons of rocks. it takes a few years but all organic materials go in the garden. grass clippings, leaves, everything from the yard. i dont have a tumbler but i collect everything in a compost pile then till it in in the fall. then in the spring its pretty much gone. pretty amazing how the worms and all the microbes break that stuff down.

17. cal. wonder has always done my garden well also.good luck!

18. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Bell boy, California wonder on the sweet peppers. For clay soil till in compost, peat, sand and I use wood ash to lower PH. Be careful not to use too much ash. Peppers seem to like the clay. I also use lots of Miracle Grow and weed, weed, weed. Soil prep is the hardest and best thing one can do for a great garden.:G :F

19. I moved to Parma in Apr 06. Small back yard and a lot of shade. Bought a couple of large planters. Put them in the front yard with tomatoe plants. Did real well. Last year added a couple more. Had tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, lettuce and onions. Can't live without my homegrown tomatoes.

20. Don't just throw lime or ash on your garden until you test the pH.