close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Garbage can turkey cooker?

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by c. j. stone, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Friend mentioned he'd heard that you can make a turkey roster from a galvanized 30 gal. garbage can and that two beers are placed inside for adding moisture and flavor. The heat comes from a bag of charcoal around the perimeter, outside of the inverted can. Anyone hear of this or have any pics. of this? I'd like to make one. I haven't tried to find it on the Net yet. Thanks.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

It may well work, but I would be concerned about the Galvanize part. I know in fires that I have been on they say never breath the fumes. Plus I have seen the galvanize chip off. The price you can buy a turkey frier for now a days I don't think I would chance it. But that's just my opinion.

3. I guess I don't understand why anyone would want to cook a turkey using any type of garbage can. Somebody must have had alot of free time to come up with this one. I like the methods of deep fryer oven better, both take less effort. A novelty is oftentimes means more work then it's worth.

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

did you notice the sweet serving platter?:p

5. Het, I didn't see any mention of the prime ingredient(BEER!)
    Any way, I've tried to cook wild turkeys in a turkey frier and also in an oven and just couldn't quite take to them. The person I heard about this thing said it came out unbelieveably good! That's why I got to try it-the other two ways weren't that great. I'm no pro-chef but I think I can do this one.

6. My father-in law does it like that comes out real good .

7. Same with me, the wild turkeys seemed to ALWAYS be on the tough side "UNTIL" a friend started injecting the bird with different herbs & liquid stuff. Now turkey's are great:) Now they are palatable & look forwrd to them. Thats one of the reasons I quit hunting the wild things. Did'nt like the taste, did'nt hunt them. Now thats changed, gotta start up again.

Yeah, the galvanized thing to me is questionable??????????

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  8. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Too much rigamaroll !