Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good deals you have found at garage sales? Today I picked a bunch of newer reef runners 3 for $5. I just wish I had brought more money with me by the time I got back they were all sold!

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I bought a model 12 20 guage for 100 4 years ago. Had it appraised at 900.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was out today getting my wife new tires put on her car and next doot to the Tire Depot was a yard sale going on. So I knew I had 30 mins. to kill so I wondered over. Catching my eye amungst the junk was a compound bow. It had a release velcrowed to it. The bow had a stabilizer and shocks, wrist strap, 5 arrows (no broadheads) a quiver, peep and three pins. Everything was in very good shape. The name on the bow was Fred Bear and the name of the bow was Black Bear. I asked the price and she said $25 bucks as she also told me about a fly rod she had. Trying not to swallow my tounge, I took the two piece rod out of its case and while looking over my shoulder in case someone else was honing in on my discovery, it was a brand new Algonquin 8'6" 5wt with a never used Lochmor-s200 real (no line). She said $15 for the rod and real. I also picked up a Lew's Speed Tube Float (no fins...already have some). I gave her 45 bucks for all mentioned.

I've never owned a compound before, just a crossbow. Is this a good deal?
How about the rod and reel?

·
Registered
16,844 Posts
I was out today getting my wife new tires put on her car and next doot to the Tire Depot was a yard sale going on. So I knew I had 30 mins. to kill so I wondered over. Catching my eye amungst the junk was a compound bow. It had a release velcrowed to it. The bow had a stabilizer and shocks, wrist strap, 5 arrows (no broadheads) a quiver, peep and three pins. Everything was in very good shape. The name on the bow was Fred Bear and the name of the bow was Black Bear. I asked the price and she said $25 bucks as she also told me about a fly rod she had. Trying not to swallow my tounge, I took the two piece rod out of its case and while looking over my shoulder in case someone else was honing in on my discovery, it was a brand new Algonquin 8'6" 5wt with a never used Lochmor-s200 real (no line). She said $15 for the rod and real. I also picked up a Lew's Speed Tube Float (no fins...already have some). I gave her 45 bucks for all mentioned.

Junk.... I'll throw it away for ya for$10...:)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
60.00 for a 17ft michicraft canoe....no leaks what so ever....I like garage sales and go all the time....I have gotten many good deals over the years...:)
I bought my fishing boat at a garage sale too.....14ft mirrocraft ,20hp mercury motor and trailer....800.00

·
Registered
830 Posts
I also screwed up and sold some great stuff before I got into fishing. My dad, who passed in '95 had an '86 6 horse that my mom wanted out of the garage. I was asking 100 when a guy talked me down to 65 cause the seals could be dried up. Fly rods, repala's, reels,....I never knew why so many people were at my sale so early until I got back into fishing.

I checked out the fly rod and reel on line yesterday. It seems the two may be worth about 55-60 bucks together.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts

Sounds like you landed on a "my man recently cheated on me" sale. Way to go! Yes, you got a GREAT deal.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I bought my wife at a garage sale...3 times!!!!!!

·
the steel head hunter
694 Posts
My Dads freind had an antique bamboo fly rod for 5 bucks he gave to me for free,..wish I knew the maker of the rod..

·
Those BLASTED darn bass
156 Posts
joerugz: Any fly rod and reel in new shape regardless of who made it is a great find in my book. The rod action is really the most important part of the system, because the reel really only holds your line for all practical purposes. Get some decent fly line for it, and I'll bet it will be a good setup for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts