close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gar

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by castmaster00, Feb 14, 2008.

1. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

has anyone ever caught any gar or sturgeon in ohio?

2. Gar yes sturgeon no :)

3. I catch Longnose Gar from time to time when fishing the Ohio River. They are tough to hook. This site offers many tips on hooking them. They tend to really mess with my catfish baits every now & then and it can become very frustrating.

4. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

where ? they arent supposed to be round here.:confused:

5. What aren't around here,gar/sturgeon ?

6. theres plenty of gar around. I've got strikes from several, but only ever caught one. There mouths are so skinny and boney it's tough to get a good hookset.

7. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

Used to catch needle nose/long nose gar in the Portage river usually following the white bass run in mid to late May through mid June or even early July. I have seen pictures of green/lake sturgeon being caught recently but have not personally caught one nor have seen one caught.

8. tyrantCraft

tyrantCraft pike fishn fool

a buddy of mine claims in the mohican river fishin at nite hes caught em on a piece of white t shirt n hook while catfishing never seen just heard gar that is

9. devildog#1

devildog#1 hardcore fisherman

there are gar all over in the rocky must have seen 10 just last summer not real big though 12"to about 24"

10. there are lots of gar all over ohio, the closer you get to erie or the big o the more there are, the ohio has alot more however. they are native and a blast to catch, throw rope flies! i have managed to catch them on just about every bait i throw in rivers. as for sturgeon there are two species native to ohio and i have never seen either in the wild, i am hoping to catch one in the next few years though

11. Here are a few pictures from some of our members of both gar and sturgeon. I believe there are several pictures in here of gar but not many of the sturgeon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Yeah, I catch them ( gar) all the time in SW Ohio but never seen a sturgeon down this way. I included a picture of a 48" 10 lb longnose I took last summer with one of my "Gargetters" ( rope fly)

[​IMG]

Look at them teeth!!
    [​IMG]

Ever in the area, I can hook you up!

Salmonid

13. That is a great picture of the teeth on those things. I have seen them occasionally over the years although they seem very limited in numbers where I fish. I have never been able to land one but have not tried a gargetter either. If I had the numbers of them around to chase them it would be a fun thing to do.

14. I caught a Gar on the Ballville Dam on the Sandusky River about 3 years ago...Had no idea what I was catching...until we got it to the rocks where it proceeded to bite my line and get away. Had to call my Dad and ask him what I had caught, because we had never seen one before. My favorite part of catching it was when it jumped 4' straight up out of the water. What an Awesome Fish to catch.

15. i know the muskingum river has alot of gar and bowfine in there i was getting atleats one everyday i put a line in the water last summer i even caught a few bowfin(the ugliest thing i ever seen)

16. it works believe it or not.....in the muskingum they use red cloth but i guess its all the same

17. wargoth

wargoth Banned

Never caught one, but I spotted one at night in the mouth of the Grand in fairport. Was playing over the water with my 2 million candlepower spotlight, and saw him hanging out just below the surface of the water.

18. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

I have caught several gar and bowfish even more. I have several places I get them up to 5 feet long.

19. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

I never caught a gar but have seen them in the river. I ahve heard of people catching um tho. its harder to hook tho and I have heard of alot of people that do fish for um to use a fly that bascially tangles in there teeth instead of hooking it.

20. tomb

tomb Tom B.

We spent a couple of summers fishing for gar on the muskigum river directly below devola dam. Creek chubs rigged with two #6 treble hooks and 14# fireline leaders. Fish just down river from the foamy water below the dam. We never caught any of the really big ones pictured above, nice fish guys!
    [​IMG]

The only place I've ever caught sturgeon is the niagara river. We've caught five there.

[​IMG][​IMG]