Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LMR poison ivy master
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a gar the other day on a swim bait... i know people say thats a garbage fish... but after all i am fishing only to catch a big unique fish... i had it almost up then let slack in the line and lost it... i think its a real pretty fish and would love 1 picture with a giant one... anyone got a good garuntee location and way of catching one... sure would make my day. please no gar smack talk. i know its "junk"

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
I caught a gar the other day on a swim bait... i know people say thats a garbage fish... but after all i am fishing only to catch a big unique fish... i had it almost up then let slack in the line and lost it... i think its a real pretty fish and would love 1 picture with a giant one... anyone got a good garuntee location and way of catching one... sure would make my day. please no gar smack talk. i know its "junk"
I caught 7 of them a couple of weeks ago in Monroe, Michigan in the "hot pond" They are a blast to catch. If I can get the picture off of my cell phone I will post it. One of the them was a real nice one. I was targeting walleye, but the gar was in there thick. I was just vertical jigging a hair jig and then I switched to casting a curly tale.

·
duuuuhhhuuuuuhhhhh
69 Posts
when the gar are on the surface try a piece of liver or minnow or any cut bait about a foot under a bobber let em run for about 15 seconds beforesetting the hookgives em time to get the hook near there head we catch 23 to 36 inch gar at pike island dam when nothing else is biting

·
Registered
694 Posts
I get alot of them fishing for white bass on the Sandusky River. I usually throw minnows under floats or silver jig heads with white twister tails for the whites. I never fish for gar but love to hook into them, Last year I caught a 41" gar while fishing between the bridges in Freemont I ended up landing it after about a 15 minute fight on an light rod. I'd say I got between 20 and 30 last year on the Sandusky River. I know what your saying about people considering them garbage fish, I'm just like you I like the fight and the fact that the fish itself is a change of pace for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Last year, I had the opportunity to go bass fishing in the Florida everglades. That place was filled with jar. We were using bass minnows under a bobber, about 1.5 - 2 of line between the hook and bobber.

The guide I was with said jar's have very boney jaws, so its hard to hook into them. You experienced what usually happens when you let out some slack in the line.

If you do get a good enough hook to get them to the shore or in the boat, you'll more than like find it a challenge to get the hook out. I'm not sure were to fish for them in this area, but if you get hooked into one keep that line tight. Expect to loose more than you actually are able to pull in.

I hooked about a dozen or so, and never was able to pull any in the boat.

whiskers

·
Registered
675 Posts
a little later in the year they will spawn...and go nuts in little creeks off the LMR... my friend and i used to literally catch them by hand at time bc they would go in the creeks in large numbers

·
Registered
90 Posts
I catch them all the time in Indian Creek out in Millville.... We were using rapalas one day to catch them so we could get a lot of hooks into them.... We pretty much landed all that we hooked... caught about 30 of them from 4-8 lbs

·
Registered
139 Posts
The gmr in the summer has tons of them. Typically if you find a small island in the stream you can find quite a few around it close to shore. I have had them hit a diving popper for the fly rod desing for panfish so they are not picky, just strike hard and keep the tension up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny you should ask that. I just caught my first gar 7 hours ago on the GMR just below the Hamilton dam. I fished just before my classes at Miami Hamilton and caught a nice one fishing for catfish with cut shad. I used a circle hoolk on the bottom with about 4ounces of weight. Wasn't really much of a fight though for the size of the fish. Didn't have a scale but compared him to my rod and measured that when I got home. 54" and prolly 12-15lbs. So if you really want them I guess you could try the GMR. Good Luck

·
LMR poison ivy master
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah it was my first one too after school. didnt fight much at all. huge fish though was like 2 and a half feet. caught it with a storm swim shad off the sandy bottom slowly.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I used to fish for them in still waters of the Scioto River off 104 in Columbus. I put a hunk of bait (crawdad, minnow, nightcrawler) on the back hook of a floating Rapala. I would cast it past where they were sunning and very slowly reel it to them and barely twitch it. Hooked dozens but never got them out of the water but at that time I never used line any heavier than 8lb.

·
"I sat by the river" N.Mc
1,062 Posts
Try the rope fly, it can be used with a fly rod or spinning gear, Cut a 4 to 6 inch piece of cotton or nylon rope tie in a piece of hard mono or super briad or steel leader. Wrap the conection with thead and then epoxy together. fray out the rope and fish it like a streamer or jerk bait. No need for hook there teeth will get tangeled up in the rope. Have a good pair of leather gloves and needle nose to get the rope out. works suprisingly well. You can coloer the rope anyway you like but plain white works just fine. Good luck. S

·
Perch Addict
892 Posts
Yes tie that Rope lure and take it down to the Mouth of Big Indian Creek in Point Pleasant , at Grants Birthplace down on Route 52.....cast out by the big Tree sticking out of water, Ive seen some 3 ft long Gar "beaks" sticking out of the water......Real thick in there............

Good luck

S

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
i have a bad habit of catching them on everything i throw, they seem to like swimbaits alot but most baits you lose almost all you hook

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 13-year old son managed to hook one in the LMR Saturday. He was using my crappie rig - 5' L w/4lb test and was fishing a plastic worm. First thing I saw was the pole bent over double and big saucer eyes from my son. Then we saw the gar splashing on the surface, it was a good 24" long. I grabbed the line and helped him pull and we managed to get it to the bank when it thrashed it's head one last time and broke the line. He spent the next 2 hours trying to catch another :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts