close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Galyans / Dick's Sporting Goods

Discussion in 'Ohio Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy, etc. Marketplace' started by JBJ, Aug 1, 2004.

1. JBJ

JBJ

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Thanks for the update JBJ, it will be interesting to see how things change or stay the same. Hopefully everything works out you guys and the customers. Will there be a name change at the galyans stores or the dicks stores i wonder. I think Dicks could diffinitly learn something from the galyans stores and apply it to the existing dicks stores would be the smart thing to do not the opposite.

3. JBJ

JBJ

Everything points towards the name "Galyans" not being carried over. From what has been showing up in print, DSG wants to adopt "things" that made Galyans popular with the customers. So far there hasn't been much coming down the internal information highway. I believe DSG is going to proceed with much caution and think out every move/change before it is implemented.

I was a Galyans customer for years before I started working there. I'm just like everyone else in that I am hoping they don't change what was working so well. One great thing I can see about this is that the buying power of that many stores could bring down some of the prices.

4. Do you think that the selection will be better as well? It seems like everytime i come in they dont have what i want. Came in month or so ago to get a canoe, 2 st croix ultralights and ultralight reels. Didnt have anything i needed. No canoe, rods, or decent reels. I really dont like going to Gander, but seems like i got to :( Not sure if you have access to this info or not. Just thought id let you know my thinking on the sittuation!

5. JBJ

JBJ

The "word" we are getting at this point is that we will see a better resupply program put in place. The things that were selling well for Galyans will be staying and the slow movers will go away. There will be things added to our current line-up that we do not carry but DSG does such as Pflueger reels etc. Also, from what I am hearing, they are slow in picking up new products. We will see.

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

if they can't compete gander mtn. they will still be in trouble. dicks didn't even have erie dearies on late july.

7. JBJ

JBJ

Something to keep in mind about large retail companies is that if it doesn't sell a certain amount, it won't be stocked in the store. Some of my personal favorites aren't on the pegs at my store at this time either. The best bet is to take the extra couple of minutes at the store and fill out one of those questionnaires sitting by the front doors. The more folks that request an item that is not in the store, the more likely you are to see it there in the future. Also talk with department managers, sales managers and store managers when you can. The more seeds you plant the better.

I make note of all comments and pass them up the line. At times I even get to submit proposals with my recommendations. NOW IS THE TIME!!! DSG is in the process of deciding what products will be in their new (old Galyans) stores. If you really want to see certain items available to you, take the time to make your point. All retail stores know that to succeed they must listen to the customers.

A point to make here is that you will need to be as specific as you can. I have "erie dearies" on the pegs in my store but I might not have the color you are wanting right now. Another fascet to retail is that you need to have a good re-supply plan in action. One big thing you will see with DSG taking over the Galyans stores is that we won't be out of things near as often. So the point is to specify colors, weights and specific brands.

Always check with an associate to make sure they don't either have it somewhere else in the department or that it is on order. At my store if we carry it and it's on order, I can give you a timeframe in which it is supposed to come in.

As much as you want to be able to pick up all of your supplies at one location...I also want that store to be the one I work at. You can bank on the fact that I take all steps open to me when it comes to satisfying my customers. I would also lay odds that there is a lead person at those other stores that has the same viewpoint. Find out who it is and work WITH them. The more constructive input they get the better they can do the job.

One more point. Do the associates a favor when you find that they are helpful and courteous. Mention them on one of those questionnaires also when you make product requests. It is an extreme boost to that individual when someone takes the time to pat them on the back. Thanks.

8. JBJ

JBJ

I found out the other day that the current display of Case Knives has gone inactive. Keep your eyes open because they are sure to be getting clearance priced. Right now, the only ones I have on hand that are on clearance are the collector tins such as the Coke one and the Ford Trucks.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Why is a alyams being built @ the fairfield mall in beavercreek when a DSG is righ across the street? Im confused.

10. JBJ

JBJ

There are two possible reasons. First, is the Galyans going to be a 2-story store and the DSG a 1-story? The other reason might be that the contracts were already signed to build the structure and it couldn't be backed out of.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

yes, the Galyans is two story, it looks like its going to be nice, but it just doesnt seem to make sense. the DSG just had a major , I mean major reconstuction last year.

12. JBJ

JBJ

There is a lot of that. DSG just opened 4 new stores in Indy earlier this year that are very close to the 4 Galyans stores there. We do not know which ones they will end up closing as yet.
    Like I said, it could be that they just couldn't get out of the building contract. I would lean towards the 2-story store being the one that will remain open. DSG built 5 stores that looked just like Galyans and I believe the trend will continue.

13. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

I hear ya JBJ, i can vouch for that regarding giving the sales asscociate a "pat on the back" if they've been helpful, if you do... they're more likely to go out of their way again for ya (and for others)...

14. So what will the consumer notice from this merger?

15. I popped into the Galyan's here in Fairfax, VA this evening and a question came to mind...will the current Dick's "Score Card" program be instituted to the Galyan's stores, and if so, when? It's a nice program that can earn a person some gift cards.

For some reason I have never signed up for the Galyan's program (should have long time ago, not sure what it does), but would guess and hope that this would be done once the two are one?

16. JBJ

JBJ

Galyans has the "REWARDS" program. Along with earning you gift cards to use on your next purchase, you also get free access to the climbing wall. (It's $2 a climb otherwise.) Customers on the program will automatically slide over to the DSG program at some point, is what I have been told.

At this time the Galyans stores are still operating as if a separate entity but DSG and Galyans are one company. There won't be many if any noticeable changes until January.

17. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

I hope so!
    It seems like Dicks never had what I was looking for and it is all cheap stuff and Galyans has more quality stuff though it is way overpriced...

Winner

18. JBJ

JBJ

I just can't see how anyone can say "way overpriced" when Galyans has the 110% price guarantee. In the 14 months that I have been working there, I have enacted the use of the guarantee maybe a couple dozen times. Most of those were 9mm ammo that Vances had a special on.

Right now there are extra percentage discounts on already clearance priced items. There were a mess of other markdowns this week. If you haven't been in for a while, it may benefit you to browse through soon.

19. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

That 110% guarantee is like a rebate...most companies hope that you'll either forget that it exists, or be too lazy to use it.

Most fisherman that I've talked with agree that Galyans is on the pricier side of the market. When you guys do run deals, they are usually SWEET (I remember in the spring a buy 3 cranks get the 4th free, which ROCKED). However, comparing non sale prices, Galyans usually compares higher from what I've seen.

I guess if the prices were low to begin with, there wouldn't be the need for a 110% guarantee.

While we're on the subject, does Galyans have any aspirations to do internet/mail order ever? The Galyans website is pretty useless (so is Gander's for that matter) for fisherman, compared to BPS/Cabelas.

20. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I used to think that Galyans was to high priced but I have benefited from the 110% price guarantee. Also other than a Bass Pro or Cabelas they probably have the most complete collection of gear you could ask for. I guess it is worth a little more to have the convienence of it all in one place.