Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left the boat at home and tried galena for white bass today, only one other fisherman and nothing caught. is therre not going to be a run or do we just need a large rain?
I have never tried to freeze white bass, is it true they don't freeze well?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The answer to your first question is difficult. Every year, the white bass run is different. Man, I wish I could predict the exact date and time the run will start. Last year, I did not start catching them until mother’s day or my day as I like to look at it. Because I always catch fish on mother’s (my) day:D . Last year on mother’s day another angler and I caught about 70 between us and that was the first time I was able to catch any kind of numbers. This year is very different. I caught 3 inside a ½ hour of fishing and then nothing else. The number 1 consistent pattern that has developed over the years of fishing for white bass is the questions that fellow anglers ask (including myself) concerning the run.
As for freezing the fish, I treat the filleted fish just like any other fresh caught fish. I keep enough on hand to provide for 2 to 3 meals. One point of note. I do not try to load up my freezer so I do not know about long term storage. I give the majority of my catch away, but that’s my thing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like rain is coming our way. This might be our last chance to see those WB ! Hope this will kick off the spawning if its not too late.

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
i think the water temps have forced the WB to spawn in the lake on hoover.
i may be wrong but the temps are to high now and we saw runs of fish over 3weeks ago. you guys may have missed your chance.

timing is everything. you shouldnt wait for a report on a message board to initiate your hunt for spawning run fish. some years when we have stable water in the creeks for an extended period you can but that usually isnt the case. get out there when the water is high or a day or 2 after for your white bass fix.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I don’t mean to step on your toes NewbreedFishing but I’ve been going up and checking things out for the past 3 weeks and there hasn’t been a run of any kind so far. Plus about 2 weeks ago I took my boat up the creek and didn’t mark any fish from the lake to the creek. This weather has everything messed up. In the past 3 weeks the crappie was hitting real good under the bridge but no real numbers of white bass. I think this rain should turn them on.
If it doesn’t then the run will not happen in the creek this year.
I've been fishing this run for years and to me it seems like they are spawing later and later every year.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tend to agree with you about the water temperatures, however that is just one indication. There have been early runs when water temps and flow both reach certain levels in the past years. I try to look for trends in the overall behavior of the run treating each year differently. Along with the before mentioned factors here are a couple others to consider. One is the presence of females the second is the presence of shad. At Galena the white bass follow and then intermingle with the shad. Another point to consider is the fact that all the white bass will not span at the same time. Just my observations over the years which I humbly submit.

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
fish4wall ....there was a run around 3 weeks back but once the the fish have high water they navigate past any area you could get a boat into. After the water drops you have to focus on small pools in the upper creek which are probably private land access only. The shad have been in the river for almost a month now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Four years ago in early spring when the air temps hit the 80's for a week there was a early run then also. I still was able to catch white bass around this same time as in years past. I will grant you that every year the run is different up in Galena. One has to adjust and adapt.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
you cant count a run of fish that lasted less then 24hours.
i know the run you are talking about i had REAL GOOD info from someone here that he caught some ok numbers one late after noon....i was down in the creek that same moring and did catch anything. so when i heard about that after noon "run" the next day i took off and fished it not one white bass...a ton of crappie. so i really dont think we had a so called run. alot will be said after this weekend with this rain. if there not in after this weekend then we'll have no run.
just my 2 cents

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
i'm not quite sure if the run is mostly over or not.there were fish in the creek a couple weeks ago(mostly smaller males),and shad also were running last week in fair numbers.the two runs pretty much overlap,so who knows.the surface water temps have been fluctuating quite a bit,so i'm not sure of deeper temps which drive the spawn.it's possible they haven't hit optimum for the real run,but who knows.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
scott,it was just about this time last year when you got into them.
after checking the weather conditions for that time,i saw that we had just about the same pattern as we've got now.if that means anything,the coming week could be happening;)
the only diffence is we didn't have the 80 degree days then,that we had recently.

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
I fished the ball park area and caught over 60 fish on April 27th so there was substantial run going on. The water was high and the fish were on the move from there....

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
upon further checking,i noticed that suface temps were averaging 5-10 degrees cooler at this time last year also.
not sure what that may mean,but just thought i'd post it:D ;)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Thanks Rick...I looked also and thought the same thing you did.
And if you go back a year from then you'll see that I got into them a week earlier....so the trend I’m seeing is every year they get later and later....
Thats why I'm thinking if there not in after this weekend they aint coming.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
you just never know.
though the present weather pattern is similar to last year,the preceding weather isn't.it was more like 2 years ago with temps in high 70's to mid-80's.we didn't have those high temps at the same time last year.by rights that should translate to an earlier spawn this year than later than last year,due to higher water temps.

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
I wouldnt wait till the weekend to get in there if the water came up over night from the rains. Anyone know how much percipitation that area got?

The fish are all yours ...I am off to Michigan in 3 hours for the rest of the week. Hoping to find something that pulls a bit harder then a WB:B

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the boat maybe a better shot of collecting dinner but I/m in either way. give me a call or just stop by for a pop.

·
AEP Tuber Association
893 Posts
I was at Gelena last tuesday and wedsday and saw alot of whitebass caught. Big ones too. I saw at least 4or5 people walking out of there with nice baskets full. They were fishing with minnows on the bottem. People using floats were not doing as good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts