close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G.P.S.-chartplotter?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishkiller, Jul 19, 2007.

1. What brand of g.p.s. with chartplotter does everyone like? Want to
    upgrade from handheld.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have a garmin 172 , but it only has the base map even for the highways in the us, i need to upgrade to the blue chipfor much better detail. only pad $150.00 for it on ebay.

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Arrest that man! He Stole it! :D

Have not even come close to finding a deal like that. Guess I'll just wait until winter.

4. freyedknot

the 172 is a discontinued model ,it is not the color model.

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Yes, I know... The last few that have popped up have went for over $200. Some new in box are listed for $300 and more.

I'd love to have the GPSMAP 276. Other than by a miracle it's not in my future. :(

6. My current g.p.s. (handheld) is a map 76S. Screen is way to small for me
    & when you get the sun wrong you can't see anything!

7. freyedknot

the screens do not get much bigger ,maybe an inch diagonally. unless you spend a grand.

8. Picked up a 787c2I last week, and have a lot to learn. But from my studies and talks with sales reps, it a great middle road plotter/sonar unit with excellent pixel count, and great sonar abailities. Expanable, and the reps raved about how well they have held up to customer abuses on the display models much better than the Garmin and Lowrance models and several others.

I would think if they are breaking the others in the store, a water situation would not impress me to have the key pads fall apart in a hurry. Just from my own conclusions I am sold on Humminbirds long term dedication to the sport and the quantum leaps they have made with equipment in recent years.

Dollar for a dollar a great color unit with super graphics.