Furnace help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BassCrazy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. We have an older gas furnace which worked just fine all of last winter. Turned up the thermostat to kick it on over the weekend and nothing happened at all!

Any thoughts???

2. No power? Check the breaker box...could be tripped. Also the t-stat might be bad.

3. Could you hear the click of the thermostat engaging? If so then did you watch the furnace closely to see if any more was happening? If it was truly nothing happening them I would say that Toolman is right on his assessment.

4. Check the pilot. If it won't stay lit, you need a new thermo-coupler. You can buy one at Sears, Home Depot, ect. They cost about $4, and can be changed in about two minutes.

5. Sorta a crap shoot...but it could be the igniter, pilot, clogged gas jet, etc. etc.

Have had similar problems with mine over the years...thankfully nothing major so far. Why in the hell someone would think it was a good idea to put the furnace in the crawl space is beyond me.

6. Now that I think about it, I didn't hear the thermostat 'click' when the temperature was increased.

Thanks for the pointers.

Good Fishin'

Joe

7. If this furnace has a pilot I agree with Het. With the high winds we had recently I would bet many pilots were blown out.
    My thermostat does not make any noise at all so I do not know about that being a problem and thermostats are a less likely point of problem at least in my experience.

8. cw261

cw261 Member

The older thermostats have a glass tube with mercury in them to make the contact - you won't hear anything with them (mine does - about 20 years old).

I'm with Het - if the furnace has power to it, probably the thermocouple.

9. You can still buy thermostats with the mercury in the tube. I prefer these over the programmable stats due to the price. I still canot be convinced to buy a new $125 electronic programmable stat. I think I paid about $25 for the one I have. It works great. When I leave the house I adjust it. When I return home I adjust it. When I go to bed I adjust it. Now folks dont try to convince me that a programmable themostat is more convenient. Do you keep the same routine every day?? I don't think so. Besides if the toughest task I do each day is adjust the tstat I can deal with life.
    If you can come up with a way to keep my wife from turning up the temp in the winter that I would buy.

10. I suppose if I had to pay $125 for a programmable thermostat I still would not have one. However I bought one a couple of years ago for about $40 and I have been extremely happy with mine. I did the manual adjusting for years and "usually" turned it down at night and when we left but not always. This will always do it for me and if I need to turn it up because I am home at a time that is not in the normal plan then I simply hit the "Home Today" and I have my regular home temperature.

As for the wife issue I just suggest you buy one of the programmables and then don't let her learn how to operate it.:D

11. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Blue Max, though you said not to, here it is anyhow...! :D
    A good programmable can be had for half that cost ($60-$65). I've had a Honeywell for over 15 years and it still works fine. And you're right, daily routines will vary each day but for the most part are pretty much the same within an hour or two.
    You'll have four different settings for each day seven days a week.
    As far as turning it up this is the ideal cure...she might not be able to figure out how too...! :eek: You should have left that part out. ;)

12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Brilliant minds think alike, Brian...!

13. That is the only explanation that I can think of.:p

14. I got the pilot lit and the burner is on, but the fan blower motor doesn't kick on. So I messed with the limit switch and I think I broke it.:confused:

I'm definitely no furnace mechanic!

Anyhow, I appreciate all the feedback. It definitely helped eliminate some concerns. I better stick to fishin'

Good Fishin'

15. firehawkmph

firehawkmph Retired Firefighter

Bassman,
    For your own good, call a reputable furnace repairman. You have tried the easy stuff, now your past that. Normally if you talk to your local friends or relatives, they should be able to recommend somebody that does good work and is fair. Do it before we get the first real cold snap. They get real busy then. Good luck,
    Mike Hawkins:)

16. You say the blower doesn't turn on. Do you mean it doesn't turn on right away or not at all? On your older furnace it should take about 1 minute +/- for the lower limit switch to power up the blower. If you don't have free gas, it might be a good time to look into installing an new high effeciency unit.

Tim

17. That is a good point, especially if you are looking at buying replacement parts for this one. If it is not very efficient your savings could be well over $500 a year. You may be able to pay for it in 2-3 years with the gas prices.

18. Furnace repair man came today. Furnace needs a limit switch (dumb@#$ me!) and a blower motor.

He'll do it for 290.-

OUCH!!

Toolman and bkr:

I've budgeted for a new high efficiency, which of course I was going to have installed next March. BEST LAID PLANS!?$%

Thanks again,

Joe

19. The $290 vs. a new furnace may have me thinking real hard about biting the bullet right away. You will never get that $290 back from the old furnace when you make the upgrade later. You do have a few weeks before it really gets cold so you still have time...that is if you have not already given him the go-ahead on the repair.

20. You do know they make lockable cages to go over the t-stat. A lot of restaurants and schools have them so people can't play with the temp settings. I know I have seen them in a regular wire cage and in clear plexiglass designs. May be some others out there on the market!!