Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to share this story with the forum. When I started learning about serious Muskie fishing, the old timers told me that having good strong pair of wire cutters, capable of cutting through a hook was mandatory equipment for your boat. Many of them told me that the huge, ultra sharp treble hooks used on most Muskie lures became embedded in their hands, or fingers while attempting to unhook a big strong, slimy, slithering, Muskie. Imagine the pain of getting yourself hooked to the same lure a massive thrashing Muskie is hooked to, and having the hooks twisting and driving deeper and deeper into you as the Muskie continues to try to free himself. It's not for the weak of heart. That's why you need the wire cutters, so you can quickly cut the hook that is in you so that you can free yourself ( and end the excruciating pain) to tend to the Muskie. You can then go to the ER later and get the hook out of you. Well dear reader, my story is a little different, and quite hilarious. I caught a small Muskie, 27 inches. I decided not to use my net because of the inevitable tangled snarl that results from a large plug and a thrashing Muskie in your net. It usually takes me about 10 minutes to free the plug from the net, long after the Muskie has been freed and released.So. I decided to just grab the line, and haul him up over the edge of the boat. It all went according to plan until the fish was directly in front of me and I was lowering it to the bottom of the boat. Suddenly, the Muskie thrashed violently and the lure hooked to his mouth embedded itself into my shorts, right in front of my Johnson and family jewels. That was the only time I can remember that I was glad I had a small Johnson. Holy crap, what do I do now? The huge, sharp hooks, and a mouth full of sharp Muskie teeth were just millimeters from my manhood, and thrashing around ever closer. I had to act fast,I didn't have time to find the wire cutters, and I don't mind telling you I was scared. I dropped my drawers and took my shorts off faster that a groom on a wedding night. It was OK though, because I was wearing my fir-lined, leopard skin thong. ( just kidding) It would have been a site to behold if any other fishermen or boaters were near. As far as I know no one was. Whew! I'll never do that again, and I highly recommend that you don't either.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
WOW, some will grin at your story, others like me will not. I embedded a hook to the bone, in my thumb this spring, small lure. I used the string method to remove it, PAINFUL. Friday I had a 22" Musky hit a Tuff Shad, I was so careful. I net all Muskies, BUT I did not net this one. I lifted it in, and it thrashed, never touched the floor. I danced as it gyrated, it is the little ones that you get careless with, they do the damage.
John

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pretty funny story louie made me smile after a long day lol

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Pretty funny story. the remarks about a small johnson reminds me of when a guy blew by me in his big bass boat, then my wife exclaimed dont you with your johnson was as big as his.

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
Great story Louie :D Makes me want to wear a cup next time I'm out. I think i've hooked myself everywhere but there, so now ya got me thinkin...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can relate. We've all had the experience of setting the hook on a fish that wasn't there, with lure flying back at us (haven't we?). Here was the scary result one fine day about five years ago. Fortunately, I had one more child after this.. :D

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Great story! Well told. I'm still chuckling and I too have had hooks to the bone. This might turn into a war story post, so I'll get my 2 in now!
Several years back, a total newb on an Erie charter, I tried to grab my fish-ohio, 29" Steelhead & he buried a treble deep into my thumb. The thrasing did indeed suck. After we got him loose, 15 minutes & a pair of plyers got me loose.
Last year I caught a lm on a jitterbug at a private pond. I was so excited to get something on such a lure that I didn't think & I let him bury the treble to my thumb bone. I worked at it with pliers for a while, then gave up & went to the ER, where they worked at it for almost 20 minutes, then they gave up & cut my thumb open.
I always thought that was bad but your story makes me realise how much worse it could have been. I can't tell you how many lures I've stuck into my clothes.
I'm so much more careful & slow now; not because of the pain, but because it can really ruin a good day of fishing.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you've got a grower, not a show-er:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOL, funny story Louie. It reminds me when I was fishing walleye on April. I hooked a decent walleye, and pulled him close to the boat; and so sudden I saw a red thing fly toward eyes (didn't wear glasses that time). That red thing is my floating jig head, and it hit the area around my right eyebrow. I lost the fish and almost lost an eye. I always bring my glasses when fishing since then.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Man, Bill Dance has nothing on you! Too bad you don't film all of you adventures....or DO you?

I wonder if your story would fly if one got caught with a muskie smelling Johnson?

·
walleyes and whitetails
384 Posts
ok so this morning my father and i was out fishing here is one of those dont grab a muskie in the net stories. he caught a small muskie this morning about 30in and when we netted it i thought back to reading all these stories yesterday. not 10seconds later he is reaching in the net to grab the fish under the gills and it flipped driving one of the hooks into and back outta his thumb. so now i have a muskie stuck in the net and a father bleeding like hell. lucky for him he wasnt stuck to the lure. so try 2 he grabs the fish and gets it outta the net and it starts to flip again of course and that same thumb goes into the fishes mouth and now he is bit. to me this all was funny funny beings that yesterday i was reading all these post and now i am living one. well all ended well the fish was released and my father will live. actually we caught another muskie about the same size about half hour later though i used pliers to release that one so no one got hurt.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Pretty funny story. the remarks about a small johnson reminds me of when a guy blew by me in his big bass boat, then my wife exclaimed dont you with your johnson was as big as his.
this had me laughing good lol two years ago me and my dad were bassfishing on my birthday and he went to cast his zara spook and we he casted noticed his lure didnt hit the water and turned around to see me on the ground in the boat with the two of three hooks buried in the back of my head we tryed to get the lure out but it hurt to bad for me and just snipped the line and keep fishinf withq alure just danging off my head later that day i maned up and let him rip the hooks out but it was what i wanted all year juat to have a lure dugg in my head lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
It seems like alum musky is on today. I went musky fishing with Bad-luck louie today on Alum, we started around 7am. Boated 1st musky around 8:30 (27"), hooked a second one not long after that (around 32") - will post the picture later-. Alumcreeker, may I know around what time you got the muskie ?

·
walleyes and whitetails
384 Posts
both of our muskies came between 8 and 9am pretty much been like that last couple of weeks also we have been getting ours in 8ft or less of water seems in the morning they are in the shallows getting breakfast then move out. i might try to make a day of trolling some deeper water and see if i can get a bigger one.

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
That is quick thinking. I probably would not have thought to drop my pants. Funny stuff.

·
Muskie Bug
307 Posts
That had to have been scary... I took a once ounce daredevil in the neck up in Canada a couple years ago. My cousin got me right in the side as he was pulling forward to cast, and as he pulled forward, he caught me in the neck. It almost straightened the hook out with the force he had pulling forward. We were in the middle of nowhere on Georgian Bay, so I took down a shot of whiskey, bit a towel, and he had to yank it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts