Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Funeral questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bassn317, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. bassn317

    bassn317 Casual Fisherman

    This is for my wife, whose father passed away last Thursday and we biried him yesterday.

    1. When the funeral home says they will take care of the Social Security, are they just going to take care of the one time benefit or will they see that his Social Security replaces hers?

    2. We had a military funeral and all of the grandkids have a shell casing. Does anyone know of a site or somewhere that polishes them and makes keepsakes out of them.

  2. fffffish

    fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

    Sorry to hear that I do know the feeling I would check back with the funeral home to clarify the social security. As for the shell casing take them to one of you local trophy shops they will do it for you or be able to point you in the right direction.

  3. DaleM

    DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

    As for the SS, you should contact them yourself to make sure it is done. The funeral home will file for the one time paymeny which should go towards the funeral. As for the shells, I'd buy a can of brass-o and polish them yourself. After that you can spray them with lacquar (Clear) and protect them from tarnishing again.


    family member or other person responsible for the beneficiary's affairs should do the following:


    Promptly notify Social Security of the beneficiary's death by calling SSA toll-free at 1-800-772-1213.

    If monthly benefits were being paid via direct deposit, notify the bank or other financial institution of the beneficiary's death. Request that any funds received for the month of death and later be returned to Social Security as soon as possible.

    If benefits were being paid by check, DO NOT CASH any checks received for the month in which the beneficiary died or thereafter. Return the checks to Social Security as soon as possible.

    One-time Lump Sum Death Benefit

    A one-time payment of $255 is payable to the surviving spouse if he or she was living with the beneficiary at the time of death, OR if living apart, was eligible for Social Security benefits on the beneficiary's earnings record for the month of death.

    If there is no surviving spouse, the payment is made to a child who was eligible for benefits on the beneficiary's earnings record in the month of death.

    Benefits for Survivors

    Monthly survivors benefits can be paid to certain family members, including the beneficiary's widow or widower, dependent children and dependent parents. The following booklets contain more information about filing for benefits and can be downloaded by clicking on the title.

    * Survivors Benefits (Publication No. 05-10084)
    * Social Security: Understanding the Benefits (Publication No. 05-10024)