Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this summer, my dad and I have been getting into sleeping on the boat overnight and fishing for catfish...I decided to make a few boat modifications to make it easier… I started with two light bars For a crappie and saugeye night fishing...5000 lumens each, I mounted them to a piece of Scrap mahogany i had in the garage, I used two pieces of 90° angle 10 inch brackets and bent them in my bench vise with the help of a blow torch and a hammer so that they fit the side rail on the gunnel..And I coated them with a spray can of flex seal paint....wired them up to a 10 ft piece of 14/2 wire...Adding an in-line fuse I got from the automotive store…I did have to buy a small tractor battery to run the lights as I did not want toPull any more power from my trolling motor battery ...Then I went a step further and added a cat fish rod rack on the Stern deck ...I configured it so that the mounting holes lineup with the existing rod holders on the boat…A 3/4 inch stainless steel bolt fits right through that hole and can be secured with a washer and a nut on the inside of the hatch ..So I didn't have to drill any new holes into my boat... stained it, and I will add a few coats of polyurethane later… I also added a cutting board in the middle and I will add a scrap stainless steel tray… I'm probably going to use a handheld stainless steel drywaller's tray… This has been a lot of fun because this rack is very modifiable and I can add things like hooks for lantern, more lights, holders for pliers and knives...etc...I initially wanted to buy the rod rack… But they sell them for like $300… I only have $65 of Wood and hardware in this modification... I did drill one hole in the aft hatch on the port side… and inserted a piece of corrugated tubing.. This is for the wiring for the lights to go through the hole and I can keep the battery inside the hatch without having the battery exposed up on the deck...
Wire Hand Tool Cable

Wood

Wood Plywood Table Floor

Wall Cable Wire Electrical wiring Hand

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That's great..............spending time like this with dad is priceless.

I always remember the days i spent with my dad in the woods or on the water and everywhere in between. When i set in the duck blind , field blind, treestand, boat or whatever with my son, i often sit and think if this is the way my dad felt while sitting with me......love it

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well done on the Lights. Most say the green lights attract more shad than white LED’s. I’ve put them out at the same time and I like our white ones the best. Pretty sure we have the exact same lights.
Thanks Harry! I should add that I was inspired to do these projects from a night of fishing with you and seeing the light system that you had on your boat… I hope we get to go out and do it again soon

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are the wooden things on the back of your seats for?
Well… LOL… My dad has a poker buddy that he takes fishing sometimes… And he's not a small guy… He sat on the seat while it was folded down and cracked the back of it… We disassembled it, and added those wood strips for braces because A newseat was several hundred dollars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts