Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, my family is currently on our Summer Vacation. We were going to go to Traverse City MI, but all the hotels were booked, so we went to Savannah GA instead, and I came along with my other family members. I wanted to stop for some mountain stream fishing in WV, but that didn't match any of our schedules, so we basically headed directly south. We are staying at a hotel in Downtown Savannah on the savannah river. I have, of course, gone down to the river almost every night so far to get my fishing fix, but the 1st night, I wasn't catching anything. A friendly local suggested that I use shrimp. He said that Drum can be caught with that. So I got some cooked shrimp, put it on a treble hook on my Fenwick rod and my Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reel, and dropped it to the bottom of the river. I was getting bites all night, but no luck, until around 9:30 pm, when a large fish attacked my bait. I set the hook, and this fish was fighting and running all over the place. Upon pulling it out of the water, I realized that I had just caught an eel!! By God's grace, the eel had snapped the line before I began unhooking it. I wouldn't want to be dealing with that nasty thing. Word got around fast that I had caught an eel, and people acted very surprised about my catch. Most said that they has never heard of such a thing in the Savannah. Leave it to SmittyN330 to only catch the weirdest fish in the river. :)

My father and I decided to book a Shark fishing trip with Miss Judy Charters out of Savannah. We headed out on the ocean this morning. About 2 minutes into fishing, we hooked into a little shark, about a foot long. It was a small fish on heavy tackle, but he still fought surprisingly hard. I will post a pic of him in a little bit, but I haven't uploaded the pic to my profile yet, and i am typing this on my iPhone, and I'm not all that great with technology, so I can't really upload it just yet. We ended up catching about 8 or 9 more small sharks like him, and a small Whiting. Nothing huge, but a lot of fun anyway. The fishing trip was great. Our guides were very friendly and we learned a lot about fishing. I will probably be going to the River tonight to see if I can catch anything better than an eel, so I will update you guys on how that goes. Thanks!!! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts