Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body using full size spoons in the western basin/west of huron?

Hoping to keep the white bass down, know they don't hit those as much.
We must have done 75 white bass in 3.5 hrs on sat. to get our 24 fish.

When you add in 20 sheephead, that's alot of work.

Matt

·
Registered
662 Posts
It really doesn't matter!! As a matter of fact, while trolling Monday night, we caught several white perch on reef runners that were smaller than the lure!!:confused: Fish have funny instincts, they must go after anything that they feel is trying to escape their area!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I been fishing with full size spoons and the white bass and sheephead don't hit them as much. I fished 6 1/2 hr and only had about 2 sheephead and White bass. It seemed the walleye wear bigger to, hope this is some help,

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think size matters at all, one day last week when we tried steelie fishing we caught our share of white bass, and that was using mostly Stingray sized Stingers

·
Registered
270 Posts
White bass, perch and sheephead are frustrating, but it's a toss up to whether bigger spoons will keep the junk off better. Many times change in speed can change things. Oftentimes, it's just up to the fish. Lately, in the western basin, we're finding more days of LESS junk with the same smaller spoons. Why? Probably because we're trolling faster then a month ago. Speeds from jus the otherday found me going between 2.4-2.8 mph, speed over ground, on the gps.

I feel there's 2 reasons why somedays you get more walleyes/less junk and it's due to fish activity:

1) You're in an area of more active walleyes. On days of more neutral walleye, the junk fish, so to speak, beats the walleyes to the lure. When walleyes are the predominant feeding fish, then they will beat all others to the lure.

2) The walleyes that are in you're targeted fishing vicinity may be fewer in numbers. White bass, perch, sheephead don't seem to be effected by fishing pressure and oftentimes when I'm having the problem of junk fish, even though I'm catching some walleyes, I'll move keep trolling in a direction and many times I can leave the junk and find some walleyes w/o the frustration. To much boat/fishing pressure will scatter a school of walleyes, while the junk fish are more tolerant of boat/fishing pressure.

Like others have mentioned in previous replys, I also have caught small perch, white bass and sheephead with bigger spoons.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,044 Posts
i found that the best way to keep junk off the spoon is to troll above 3mph. at that speed you REALLY know when a steelhead hits and you better have that drag backed off.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Any body using full size spoons in the western basin/west of huron?

Hoping to keep the white bass down, know they don't hit those as much.
We must have done 75 white bass in 3.5 hrs on sat. to get our 24 fish.

When you add in 20 sheephead, that's alot of work.

Matt
I've been running the larger ones about 80% of the time in past month or so, but honestly can't say its really made much difference. amazing how a little 5" white perch can get all three trebles on big spoon in his mouth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were pulling Wallleye pretty easy, did 24 in 3.5 hours.
When I found the fish, pulled 18 in a 1.5hrs and got out of there buy 10:30am.

I fish puked up a 3-4 inch shinner, started me thinking about bigger spoons.
Don't mind white bass on the dipsy's,but the boards is another story.
I'll be running 8 board rods this weekend, if it's possible with all those white bass.

My speed was 2.3-2.7, might start at 25.-2.7 and go from there.

Matt

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I ran fast,up to 3 and ran big spoons and still got gobs of them .If they have the feedbag on they hit anything that moves. The best thing to do is move yourself if they are really bad.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've always found that if you go a little faster you get the white bass. Slower you get the sheephead. Both speeds get the eyes.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I don't know what is going on this year, but this has been the worst for Junk fish on spoons since about the 1st weekend in June that I can remember. I still pull a couple in my spread to start with but usually end up pulling them off and going strickly with Reef Runners. Then an occassional junker will still bust one, but it significantly reduces the aprehension of non-target species.

G

·
I have been doing the same as you. Running RR800 mainly. I have not try your spoons much because of all the junk fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts