close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fuel Line

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by guppygill, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Guys,
    This has to be an easy one that I can't figure out. I have a 25 hp Merc, and at times when I start it, it dies. I know it's not getting fuel from the gas tank. I will pump the fuel bulb on the line but it doesn't seem to get the gas from the tank. The motor and tank and gas line are new. The line comes up from under my seat and to the motor, I checked for kinks and leaks, nothing. The little knob on the fuel cap is opened all the way. For the life of me, I can't figure it out, it doesn't happen all the time. Any suggestions?

Guppygill

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

is the motor new model? if not check your filter for a blockage. other than that possibly fuel pump going bad,or 1 of the new fuel line parts are bad ,(happened to me)

3. The easiest thing to check is the arrow on the fuel bulb. Make sure the arrow is pointed toward the motor. Also, when pumping the bulb hold it with the arrow pointing straight up. If the bulb doesn't fill with fuel the check valve in the bulb may be bad, you may have an air leak in the line below the bulb, or you have a problem with the fuel intake in the tank.

If you know someone else with a Mercury tank and fuel line you can hook it up and rule out problems with the motor itself.

4. Thanks for the help guys, I checking it out now.