close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fuel Line Freezup

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KSUFLASH, Jan 17, 2005.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

With the weather being so cold, I didn't really think about fuel line freeze up, but it appears my truck wont start. It turns over but doesn't seem to be getting gas. I drained the battery trying to start it. I then hooked it up to a portable jumper box, charged it up again and still no go.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can get my truck started in this cold weather?

Another weird thing on my 99 Ford Ranger is a plug of which looks like an electrical outlet, but the male end per say. I think it is some kind of heater for the engine. Plug an extension coard in it. Kinda like those diesel vehicles. Anyone know about these? Does mine have some kind of kit on it, so that I can plug it in and warm the motor up?

When it rains it pours. PC has a bad virus as well. Using my backup that I blew the dust off of from the basement.

-flash

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I had the same thing happen! My jeep would take ga, put I had to keep my foot on the gas until the temp rose. It ended up being the Cold Start Switch went bad. I think it was $8. , so if some HEET doesnt fix your prob, you may want to look @ the cold start switch.

3. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Oh Ben you poor thing! You need to go and find yourself a lucky penny (or 2) :)
    Hope all gets better soon!
    Marcia

4. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

pour a couple of bottles of some gas deicer and you should be good to go. had it happen to me once and a guy told me to pour 2 in and instantly ran fine. if not check out mellon heads option. plug the ford in and see?

5. With the run of luck Flash seems to be having right now that plug is probably hooked up to an electric chair mechanism in the driver's seat :)

Steve

6. KSUFLASH

well i told myself hell, what is the worst that can happen, so i plugged the truck into that heater core plug thingy. My insurance is paid up, and the way my night was going, I figured the good ole ranger would blow up into flames and that would be more exciting that hosing around with the Hijacked computer of mine with a virus, so I plugged it in. Had to put the battery charger on as well due to i drained it earlier trying to start it. Gave it about 1 hour, went out, and she sputtered, but finally started. Dunno if the extension cord being plugged in did the trick or not, but at least it started. I let it run for about an hour, then went and drove it around. We will see what happens tomorrow morning when I really need her to start due to it is time to go to work.

-Flash

7. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

still, put the gasline antifreeze in, it cant hurt and takes the water out anyway. I was right about the plug? hmm wish the wife was around to tell her I got something right!

bill

8. Bill if you put in a couple of bottles of deicer in the tank your in for trouble! Its not the best to pour that much in there! That stuff burns pretty hot, and can warp you valves if Im not mistaken. Glenn

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Where does the cord with the male end go?
    I have an engine block heater on my truck. Ordered it when I got the new truck. Only $35 extra. I plug it in every night when it's below 25 degrees.
    It keeps the block warm and allows an easy start-up on mornings like we had today (1 degree in Akron). Reduces wear and tear on the engine on these winter morning start ups and the battery does have to work as hard to turn the engine over. The antifreeze in the radiator isn't warm but the hot air comes out of the heater much quicker when you start it up.
    If you have it, definately use it.

10. KSUFLASH

I couldn't tell you exactly where the male end of the cord goes, it is too cold outside for me to care..haha....i just plug it in and hope for the best.

It started up this morning, and I made it to work. I must have done something right.

flash---------------------------------out

11. If U Dont Change Your Filter At Least 20000mi U Are Taking A Risk Of Burning Up Your Fuel Pump. When U Dont Keep A Full Tank In Your Auto It Will Condencate And The Water Goes To The Filter. Ive Never Used Dry Gas Just Cleaners And Stab. With The Cost Of Vehicle Labor Rates Today A Little Xtra Will Save U Big! :)
    If The Block Heater Doesnt Trip Your Breaker Then Your Probably Ok. But That Wont Cure Freeze Up! :)

12. Not sure if your truck would have a block heater unless you purchased it as an option. If you run a continuity test between the prongs of the plug should give you a clue. Continuity ( resistance > 0 and most likely < 1) means there is something on the other end that is likely a heating element or the harness is shorted out (Resistance = 1, blown breaker, smoking harness, etc...) otherwise (resistance = 0) there is nothing at the other end or the heating element is burnt out. When I used to mechanic on semi trucks I would change alot of block heaters in the winter months because guys would forget to unplug them before starting their truck thus dropping the coolant level in the block and burning out the element. of course those that forgot to unplug the heaters usually drove away with my power cords too. :rolleyes: Those block heaters were the same concept that is behind an electric hot water heater. If you power the elements without water surrounding them and you burn them out. Not sure if the heaters they put in smaller engines are the same, but it's something to consider.

Barry