close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frozen Steering Cable

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Snakecharmer, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I have a 16 foot Rinkerbuilt Bowrider with a 80hp Merc. The steering cable is frozen...Is it easy to replace the cable? One man job or two people? Or is it better to have it done by a dealer? I'm sure somebody has attempted this.

Where's the best place to get a new cable?

Thanks,
    Snakecharmer

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Sometimes it's as simple as disconnecting the cable at each end and pulling it out. Sometimes you need to pull the outboard from the transom to get the engine-end of the cable out. Sometimes it's rotten just to get access.
    My center console cable runs through a tube under the floor from the console back to the starboard rear corner. Running it through that tube was a real treat. Hooking it up under the console itself was a breeze.
    I had to pull my engine off to remove and re-install the cable. I bought an engine hoist and a lifting eye to do it though.

Buy a complete kit- helm, cable, etc. They're not much more than just the cable and everything will be new. If you don't have no-feedback-steering this is the time to put it in.

www.surplusunlimited.com has the cheapest prices on steering kits I've ever found.

UFM82

3. Anyone have any experience with "teleflex steering system?"