Ohio Game Fishing banner

Front deck ride on Walkaround?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  aquaholic2 
#1 ·
May sound petty but wondering what regs are on passengers sitting or riding on front deck of a walkaround hull ..?
OK at idle speed..? only while at dock/anchor...? Or up to discretion of observin g agency?

#2 ·
There are no regs that I am aware of. Don't be that dude though and keep passengers off the bow when the conditions or traffic is bad. As a boat operator, I never allow anyone up front while under power of any kind. One mistake can turn into a tragedy in an instant. It's not worth the risk.

Search YouTube for Haulover Inlet if you want to see some examples of captains doing it wrong as it relates to letting people ride up front.

#5 ·
I think this was discussed on here once before...
I recall something about a USCG regulation that says basically "if no railing, no riding on bow"

Riding on Decks or Gunwales
While underway in a vessel under power, do not ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, or in any position which is obviously dangerous. Riding on or hanging over the bow can interfere with stability and may restrict the operator's visibility. No operator of a vessel under power shall allow any person to be on a decked-over bow of such vessel while underway unless the bow of the vessel is equipped with a handrail that encompasses the bow, and all persons on the bow are inward of such handrail. On vessels under power with open bows not decked-over, no operator shall allow any person to sit or stand on the gunwale at the bow of the vessel while underway. These provisions shall not apply to persons in or on the bow of vessels engaged in anchoring, mooring, or docking activities, and when the vessel is proceeding at a dead slow speed.

#6 ·
I have yelled at boaters with their kids on bow, legs in water going out the river, told them they must be trying to kill their kids, they shouted swear words at me until they realized what I was saying and had the kids get back in their seats. You would never stop in time if they fell in to prevent chopping them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.