Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I host the "Buckeye Sportsman" radio show and I know: its been a while since I posted anything here. It's been crazy busy doing the show, which is growing fast (we're up to 24 stations now that air it every weekend) and things seem to be stabilizing a bit. Tune in if you haven't in awhile; the stations and air times are listed on the affiliate link off of the web site. Anyway, the real reason I am in the OGF Lounge is that I want to interview someone about frog gigging, and figured you guys would know someone who is experienced enough at the sport to share some good tips with me on the air next week. I'm also looking for someone who can talk about catching turtles for an August show: grabbin', jugging or trapping, I don't care about the method; as long as it is legal here in Ohio, I'd like to share the techniques to taking turtles with Buckeye Sportsman listeners. Speaking of juggin', this Saturday the show features a guy who catches catfish using jugs and cut shad.

Please let me know if there is someone in the OGF family with experience who can talk about gigging frogs and someone who can talk about catching turtles. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I frog gig and occasionally set bank lines for turtles..
more gigging then turtle lines....
let me know if I could help ya out..

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,046 Posts
Not much to frog gigging. A few tools of the trade, a nice dark nite at the neighborhood swamp, listen for the deepest croaking frog, shhh move slowly until you see his eyes, hit him with the gig until you push him into the mud, follow the gig down and claim your prize. Gotta grab them by the back legs and wack them against a tree or the gig to kill them or they will craw out of the sack. Not much of a problem up here, but I remeber when I was in Florida I almost gigged a gator one nite between the eyes until I saw his nostrils half way between me and the eyes.....

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
ez we use a chain stringer and run it trough there mouths after gigging them will flop around at your thigh for a while buthtey get tired pretty quickly. i do alittle of both let me know what kind of info your looking for

1 - 5 of 5 Posts