close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frog Giggin

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bronzebackyac, Jul 6, 2005.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I was thinking about going frog gigging this weekend. Does anyone have any info on the season for frogs bag limits or a few tips. It has been several years since I have been out.

2. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

FROG SEASON is open from June 15 at 6 p.m. through April 30. Only bullfrogs and green frogs may be legally taken. Not more than 10 may be taken or possessed at any time. Frogs may not be shot except with a longbow and arrow. Hours are local time.

3. bronzebackyac

Thanks Big Chess. Do you ever go giggin?

4. BigChessie

Oh yea used to love frog legs, don't get me tempted.LOL I have been veggie-only since Feb 04'. About the only things I miss are Frog legs and Gator tail.

5. Veggie-only huh? I've been thinking about that direction. Have you noticed much of a difference since then (i.e., body weight, body shape, energy level, etc.)?

6. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I went froggin Saturday night in the backwaters of a "local reservoir". I used my homemade gigs. Got 8. I made the gig tines out of 1/8" stainless rod that I sharpened and brazed on large barbs also made of the 1/8" ss rod. One gig is a traditional 3-tine trident, the other is a 4-prong "grabber" with the barbs facing inward toward each other in a rectangular pattern. Both work very well.

7. Why gig? I have always used my hand to grab them. I quess that my way would not work out of a boat. I just find it handy that I can release frogs that are a little to small to keep. I already ate my first 10. I will be heading out soon so that when dad comes up we can have a mess. Glad to hear you guys go veggie, now if only I could convence the rest of the world that veggie is the way to go.

8. BigChessie

Jitter My wife has been a veggie for quite awhile, I'm sure the guys that have met her will admit it works for her. lol Anyways. I had cut back to only Fish and Chicken, only red meat being vension for a few years. Then had a regular checkup (and a bloodtest) with my Doc and the results SCARED me into trying it. 2 months into it I had some more tests and AMAZING results. Really is the way to go. If you want more info just pm me so I don't end up hijacking this. lol

9. Veggie?? whatcha do with all the duck meat? i know happen to know a poor college student who could take it off your hands for ya.. :D

10. bronzebackyac

For all of you veggie guys out there make sure you remember me when you are trying to give away the backstraps from your deer this fall. There is plenty of room in my freezer for some walleye or saugeye too. Just let this carnivore know. lol

11. BigChessie

I like to donate some meat but for the most part I only keep enough deer and duck for my son to eat. I always end up making a bunch of duck,goose and deer jerky to give to guys. It works out pretty well to just give up what I kill with whomever I'm hunting with, just in the hope that when they have a spot open they might call me so they can get the extra meat. lol So.......keep that in mind when the season gets close. lol BTW Nothing better than smoked goose w/ eggs while sitting in the blind! At least thats what they tell me!

12. Thiinking of giving giggin a try, if wading what do you put the frogs in after grabbing/giging? Also, what areas are a good starting point, lily pad shores?