close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fried green tomato question....

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by yonderfishin, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ......when frying them in oil on the stove it burns really quickly and smokes the house up, and makes the tomatoes taste burnt. I think its because of the flour in the batter burning in the oil if you are cooking too long. Has anybody got a recipe or technique so this dosent happen ?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you'll have that sometimes;)
    could be the heat is too high.excess flour could be burning in the oil,which doesn't help the taste either.i don't like to slice them too thick(1/4 inch or so) so they cook faster,minimizing burning.shake off excess before frying, and try letting them sit for a minute after coating.i also like to flour them,them dip in egg,then bread crumbs.

3. I agree. Sounds like you've got the heat way too high.

4. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Definitely too much heat. Medium flame. Also might want to try beer batter mix(without the beer). It works well. I know it is basically flour but it does give a different flavor. After all this talk, I have to get the umbrella and go pick some for dinner:D

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.i have several on the kitchen counter,so i don't have to go out in the heat:D
    been eating them 3 to 4 days a week :D

6. I heard that excessive consumption (over twice a week) results in a significant loss of memory as well as the inability to properly control a vehicle when backing up (like launching a boat). :rolleyes: :D ;)

7. I grow alot, prefer them just on the grill-balsamic vinegar or worscestershire sauce and cajun seasoning,but that is personal preference. have also deep fried them while doing fish,used the same batter,whether it be beer batter or another type-Ijust like them-eat too many and keep the tp handy though! experiment and have fun with food.

8. Try some peanut oil if not already. I think it has alot higher temp rating than other oils.

9. i slice them then leave the slices on paper towels for 30 to 60 mins to suck some of the water out. i think this is important.

i just dip in egg, then italian bread crumbs. fry over medium heat in a mix of olive & canola oils. when i eat 'em i hit 'em with a bit of red devil or franks red hot.

fried green 'maters - greatest invention ever!! :p

10. I know a trick that works for eggplant parmesan, don't know if it would help here or not but it might. If you lay the eggplant on paper towels and salt them the salt actually pulls the moisture out of the veggies and you can blot off a lot more. That might work with tomatoes also, just a guess.

11. Salt will pull moisture out of anything, much faster and more effective than a paper towel.

12. that'd work, but i wouldnt do it. in the end, with the bread crumbs - the final product would prob be too salty for me.

13. yep, probably too much heat. I have an electric burnerless type stove wich is not easy to regulate heat with.... seems like its either too hot or not hot enough.

14. Peanut oil is the trick use it to fry my fish can cook more fillets before the oil starts to get nasty(black).
    Also I like my tomatoes just as they start to turn red then fry them I personally think they have more flavor!

15. I cook mine in butter. I cook almost everything in butter.