Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Zfish, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Well I stole this off of Food Network but I have to say it's one of the easiest fried chicken recipee's that I've tried and by far the best.... I think it's the peanut oil and self rising flour. I added a few more seasonings to it but not anything major

3 eggs
    1 cup hot red pepper sauce
    2 cups self-rising flour
    2 1/2 pound chicken, cut into pieces
    House Seasoning, recipe follows
    Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
    In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange (about 1 cup). Season the chicken with the House Seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour. Place the chicken in the preheated oil and fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. Approximate cooking time is 13 to 14 minutes for dark meat and 8 to 10 minutes for white meat.

2. i got a better recipe than that and its easier. go to barberton and hit up one of the chicken houses. hahahaaaaaa.

3. Z- Check out the Good Eats page on the food network website, Alton did a show on fried chicken. I fired up the cast iron a few weeks ago and used his recipe. Pretty good stuff and the overnight soak i buttermilk made a difference.

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's an excellent recipe Zfish. My wife uses the Red Hot sauce. Best fried chicken around including Barbertons (and I live within walking distance to Milich's and Hopocan Gardens).
    Only drawback is the oil is only good to use once. Lard is the best for deep frying the chicken.

5. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Yeah that was the only bummer is the penut oil and its more expensive than the others but I think that's why it tastes so good.

Eric,

Can you give me a link to the one you're talking about ?

6. Good recipe, only suggestion I have is after the butter milk marinade, I coat in the flour(and whatever spices) then the egg bath, then back in the flour. The texture (crisp) is outstanding which really makes it! Ceyenne pepper in the flour mixture also gives it an extra kick.