Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Smallie Chasin' SOB
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to catch them this time of the year?(tuesday morning) I'm going to my aunts house who lives at a place called Holiday Lake. Supposedly theres rainbows in there and I was wondering how to catch them this time of year since I've only fished early spring for em'. I'm thinking spinners, spinners, and some more spinners. LOL seriously I need some help and I think theres a little creek that runs into there that I'm gonna try with some night crawlers.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Carolina rig.... Powerbait. Don't waste ur time with spinners. Those stocker trout eat fish pellets their whole life. No idea what a minnow looks like...

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
A.K.A. Rooster
1,343 Posts
Not sure but in early spring they like small rooster tails and small spoons. If you were to go with lures try them.

·
Smallie Chasin' SOB
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carolina rig.... Powerbait. Don't waste ur time with spinners. Those stocker trout eat fish pellets their whole life. No idea what a minnow looks like...

Alright just in deep water during the morning and around noon? What depths during the morning till dark?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
guys out west catch them on drop shot rigs with powerbait,and early in the morning they may rise to the surface to feed.Also they will hit spinners,I have personally caught stockers on spinners,they may not have ever seen a minnow but the preadatory response is still in them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Trout - even stockies - like cold water. Choose your time of day and your depth accordingly. There is a possibility that in the evening they may come towards the surface, while I agree with BassThumb that these hatchery trout do indeed eat pellets, at some point, natural instinct can kick in and if they see a nice fat fly on the surface, they could rise to it.

Your best bet is to watch the surface of the lake, and if you see any rises, try throwing caddis or mayfly patterns.

Other than that, power bait nugs dropped under an indicator will probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Is this lake spring fed to keep the water cool year round? If it isn't there may not be any trout left. Either way fish on the bottom in deep water(unless you see them eating on the surface like others said.)

·
Registered
122 Posts

while I agree with you for the most part this is not completely true. There're some glacial lakes here in ohio trout can live there year long. I was at one of them early this season right before they stock new rainbows into it and caught a few left from the last season, biggest 19", all on minnow. And I caught none that day on powerbait. When they got used to the lake, they could switch the diet into live fish. they are good fighters I love trout. Just too bad the mortality rate after catch is too high for them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I was going to comment, unless this lake has some cold water flow into it, there's a good chance that you will come up empty handed. I am not saying don't fish there, I would bring another rod perhaps, and try to catch other fish with it. Trout don't exactly like warm water, so depending on where you are fishing, it could affect them, if there are any left.

·
Smallie Chasin' SOB
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh don't get me wrong. My main fish is gonna be largemouth. I just wanted to catch some trout becasue I love the fight and to have a little practice for next spring. There is atleast one creek that runs cold water into it and its very deep. Atleast deep enough for lake trout I've heard. Im gonna try to fish the creek too and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
listen if u really want to slam the trout find the deepest part of the lake. then get gulp green and orange salmon eggs. next get a sinker and the smallest hook u can find then, place the sinker two to three feet away from the hook. next bait the hook with first a green and then and orange berkly gulp salmon eggs. This will make it look like the food the stocked trout eat and therefor they will go into feed mode and u will slam the trout

1 - 11 of 11 Posts