close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Freshwater Trolling motor in Saltwater

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Carpn, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Anyone ever do it? I know they make saltwater motors and say you shouldn't use freshwater trolling motors in saltwater. I'll only be using it 4 or 5 days and plan on rinsing it good after every trip. I can't imagine a few days of saltwater use is gonna ruin a motor...Prolonged yes but not a couple days...Whats your opinion??

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i think i'd drop it in a barrel of fresh water and run it also.i don't think just rinsing will get all the salt from the hidden places that collect water.just my opinion.shouldn't hurt it then.i've known of people running standard outboards and flushing them good after each use.

3. I agree with Rick that running it in a barrel will probably be a good idea. It may pay to call the manufacturer and see what they say.

4. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

I just put a new MK PowerDrive on my boat and it spent a good deal of time in the saltwater around Clearwater, Florida. I will agree- using a freshwater motor in salt is a bad idea IF you plan to be there all the time. The seals/metal components are not suited for saltwater use. (The aluminum is painted, etc.) The RipTide versions are annodized and galvanized on the steel parts, or they're stainless parts. They'll live in salt.

However, I used mine a bunch while I was there and I gave it a good bath with freshwater after every trip out, including pulling the prop and washing in behind there. I didn't want any corrosion on the shaft.

So, for a week's worth of use, don't worry about it. Just make certain you rinse it very well after each time out.

UFM82

5. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Thanks...Really appreciate the advice and firsthand experience .