close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fresh Peach Cobbler

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Radio Reno, Jul 28, 2007.

1. A few weeks back there was a thread with some ideas for fresh berries. I have a good crop of fresh peaches this year and was looking for a good cobbler receipe. My grandmother made one in a cast iron skillet with Bisquick batter mix that was like heaven. I can't seem to get it right. Wish someone would have written that down. Any thoughts?

Reno

2. I took the family blackberry picking yesterday & picked a few gallons. My wife makes a mean cobbler. First covers them with water in a pot & cooks them until the berries loose their color. Then mashes & strains them through cheesecloth or a metal screen strainer. This gets rid of all the little seeds. Add sugar to taste & heat until dissolved. Then she pours them into baking pans and drops spoonfuls of Bisquick dough/ batter into the juice. Then Roll out some dough and lay out a criss/cross pattern on top . She then brushes the top with egg & bakes until browned. Great stuff. Just warmed some up for breakfast. Also froze alot of berries. Freeze singly on cookie sheets & pour into freezer bags, lasts all year.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

4. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

Radio, you need to try Misfits recipe!! Its so good that I could hardly wait for fresh peaches this year to make it again :) WB

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks WB,but i can't take the credit for it.i picked up that recipe from watching a sweet old lady on the food channel,named mama dip.here's a little story about her.she's a real peach :D

http://www.mamadips.com/history.shtml

6. WB185Ranger

Hey misfit, thanks for sharing that site! Thats really neat :) WB

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

after reading this thread,i got a hankerin' for some more of that cobbler:D
    fresh peaches are on the counter,and just waiting to make my tummy happy:D

8. WB185Ranger

hey misfit, I made some last week..........thats some great taste'n eats!! :) WB

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i couldn't stand it any longer.had to bake one this morning and woofed down a big piece:D
    i have a real sweet tooth so i add a little extra sugar to the batter and peaches.also always add vanilla to the batter.
    i almost forgot how good that stuff was:D

10. I just wanted to remind you that I hate you. :p Sounds good but like I said I don't care too much for peaches. I'll leave a key under the mat and you can come on down and fix me up a nice apple cobbler for desert for tomorrow. Laura and I would both appreciate it. :D

11. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

Made my fourth one yesterday evening. Man are they good. I think the wife even likes me a little now....

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

glad you like it,pete:)
    now that's great added bonus:D :D
    my girlfriend stopped by this afternoon and i had my wife give her a big piece.not sure how the wife feels,but the girlfriend likes me better:D
    i'd left a message on her answering machine to come and get it while it's hot.she came running,but said she thought i was referring to something else:D ;)

13. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

This thread inspired me to make a peach cobbler last night. The only thing, the peaches weren't ripe enough and were still had a little "bite" to them. Got a topping recipe from mom - super easy and tasty!! Scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. YUM!!!!

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

couple more cups of sugar will solve that:D :D

ps........let's hear the topping recipe.

15. sporty

If I could have let them bake a while longer (crust was browned) I think they would have softened up more. By bite I meant "tender crisp". The flavor was outstanding!! We had an entire hillbilly supper and that cobbler was the best part!

The recipe - from memory here :D.

Peaches:
    I had about 8 peaches sliced up.
    about a cup of sugar
    about 1/4 cup cornstarch
    pinch of salt
    (Mix the sugar and cornstarch together before putting over fruit to avoid clumping)

Crust:
    2 cups flour
    2 Tb sugar
    2 t baking powder
    1/2 t salt
    4 Tb butter

Mix the dry ingredients together then cut in the butter until mixture is "mealy".

Add 1/2 - 3/4 cup milk until the consistancy of drop biscuit dough (nice and sticky).

Drop chunks of dough over the fruit and bake 30-40 minutes at 350.

16. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Add 1/4 tsp Nutmeg to the peaches you'll love it!!

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks sporty.

mman,though the recipe doesn't call for it,i was gonna give it a little dose,but forgot,LOL.
    it does add a nice touch to many dishes.

18. sporty

Good idea mushroomman!!!

Mom said she puts a little cinnamon in the fruit but I wasn't to keen on that idea. Nutmeg would be perfect.

Jeff