Free Programmable Home Thermostat!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruminator, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Who else got the promotional letter in the mail from Ohio Edison earlier this week?

It sounded like a good idea until I got to the part about Ohio Edison "remotely controlling my house temperature" for me.

I already have a programmable unit that I control, and personally am not ready to give that control to a corporation.

What next?!

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

so jim, how much they gonna charge you for controlling your heat?

3. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Thats a good question Tom. There was no mention of a monthly charge for their ability to reduce your heating / cooling loads.

The letter did say that their intent was to primarily reduce electricity loads by cutting your air conditioning at peak times.

I bought my programmable thermostst with my new furnace a few years ago. It has nothing to do with this new concept.... hopefully.

4. How's it done? Via your phone lines? Seems like they could adjust their profit and loss statements pretty much at their own whim doing this at your expense. All these folks that can't manage their own finances are increasingly wanting to manage ours.....no thanks!

5. For some reason I feel like I'm going to get hanged for saying this but..... I work for them. I have not heard of any product that we would control anyone's home temps. In fact, i'm sure that it would be something the company would for sure not want to be responsible for. Years ago (way before my time) they did offer some sort of water heater controller (at the customer's request and expense I believe) that would shut off their water heater during peak loading times for a half hour to an hour. I'm not sure if this was for customers that had demand metering or if some sort of discount or lower rate was offered to those who installed one. Anyway, that turned out to be a pain and I couldn't see them doing something like that again. I'll have to ask around about that one and see if I can get any more info on it.

6. First Energy has them also ..you have a option to let them control the Temps or push a bottom and do it your self,,,you can over ride their control,that what I have been told by my neighbor that has one