close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Free Dog

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by Hatchetman, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

0   0   0

I am currently taking care of my daughter's dog. She moved and I must get rid of him due to some health problem's. The dog is a 7-8 year old American Pit Bull. The dog was raised around kid's and has never even looked like he was gonna bit anyone. He's an extremely affectionate dog and just want's to be petted. He's an outside dog but I don't think it would take much to house break him. He even likes other dogs. Please, serious inquiries only. Send me a PM and pick-up or delivery arrangements can be made....Thanks....Pete

2. elyfishingmaster

elyfishingmaster Junior member

0   0   0

how far are you from elyria or lorain

3. cat daddy

cat daddy

0   0   0

i would be carefull who i gave this dog too, in dayton there is a dog fighting ring , and they use any free dog to train pit bulls on .

4. ARGEE

ARGEE

0   0   0

Caution Is Right..these Dogs Cant Turn Visciuos At The Sign Of A Hat..dont Take This Dog If You Have Kids..being This Dog Was Rasied By A Different Family Means A Lot

5. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

0   0   0

I live in the eastern corner of right near the Ohio river. It's about 2 hrs to Lorain. Lrt me know if your interested, we can work something out....Pete

6. ARGEE

ARGEE

0   0   0

Bump Bump Bump Another Caution Here/////////

7. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

0   0   0

What the heck does bump bump bump, another caution here mean Argee? You seem to have decided that this a viscious dog and you've never layed eyes on this animal. I think the problem is that you see the breed and automatically assume it's mean and you know what the first three letters of assume are....Pete....AKA Hatchetman

8. Fish-N-Fool

Fish-N-Fool

0   0   0

They are great dogs - loyal, loving companions just like all other dogs.

My brother bred both American pit bull teriors and american staffordshire terriors for the better part of 10 years as his primary job. I myself have been around 100's of these dogs along with 100's of other breeds (both large and small) while in the breeding business.

I don't think you can find a more loyal and loving breed. They are an extremely intelligent breed and with proper training they are capable of learning almost anything.

All that being said, these dogs aren't for everybody. They are large, very strong, and very capable of doing severe/deadly damage (Just like other large dogs). Many (not all) are DOG AGGRESSIVE (NOT PEOPLE). I have NEVER seen a dog BORN people aggressive. However, I've seen many dogs taught to be aggressive or turn that way by being mistreated. They require LOTS of exercise and LOTS of attention. If you do not have the time to invest - forget it or you will have an unhappy dog. Unhappy dogs act out, much like children.

In summary, raising this breed is not much different from other dogs and family pets - at no time should ANY pet be left alone and unsupervised with a child in the room. Caution and good judgment must always be used when the dog is with other pets or around unfamiliar people. And I would add that owners of large dogs should always use a harness; as large powerful dogs can turn out of a collar.

I would also add that I have read many studies on the subject of dog training and temperament, most noteably studies conducted by the FBI and military. The Amercan pit bull terior and American staffordshire terrior both rank at the top of the list in temperament under a controlled high stress scenario. In fact, the head FBI trainer personally preferred using the american staffordshire terrior (larger than the pit bull terior) for many operations, but found their bite to be too powerful and the dogs to be reluctant to learn to "hold" the perpetrator rather than bite down and crush.

9. Fish-N-Fool

Fish-N-Fool

0   0   0

I'd take him off your hands, but I've got a 7.5 year old american staffordshire male (breeder) that goes 92 pounds and doesn't like to share "his house and yard" with other males :)

10. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

0   0   0

Finally someone that know's what they are talking about !! I agree 100% with what you say about the Pit Bull breed. I've been around them for a long time, my son-in-law raised them. The blood line he followed, and don't ask me what it was cause I don't know, is a very gentle and loving dog. Any breed of dog can be made to be mean if you work at it. The unfortunate thing is, you only read about the bad ones, alot like the media does with our kid's, never the good ones which there are far far more of. This particular dog is also dog friendly. All he ever need's to be happy is petted or have another dog to play with. I just wish people wouldn't go off the deep end when they hear the word's "Pit Bull". Again thank's for the positive and intelligent feed back Fis-N-Fool. I do truly have to find another home for this dog sooner rather than later....Pete

11. Fish-N-Fool

Fish-N-Fool

0   0   0

Hatchetman -

You would fall over if you saw actual national dog bite emergency room statistics. I don't have recent stats, but I did a presentation on dog breeding 5-6 years ago and I had the most recent stats at that time. I can tell you 90%+ of all dog bites involve minor children. (Once again reinforcing the point that is an adult's responsibilty to monitor both children and pets). Bites from large breed dogs make up a small percentage of incidents & that includes all the "vicious" breeds. The majority of bites involve the smaller breed dogs, but are not reported (in the media) because the injuries are typically very minor. The large breed dog bites naturally are more damaging and therefore receive media coverage.

I'm not picking fights with the media because it is there job to report "big stories". And frankly nobody cares about a 8 yr old girl whom received 4 stitches from a poodle bite. Now, if that same 8 yr, old is killed or severely injured - you got a national story!

Many of you guys would be surprised if you knew some of the dog breeds that are making it on some "vicious dog breed" list. It isn't just the typical Shephard, pit bull, doberman anymore. Insurance companies now determine a breed to be "vicious" by the amount of $$$ in claims they have paid out over a period of time. My wife is an insurance agent and I can tell you Lab owners that a few insurance companies (at least 1 of the major players) will not insure your home if you have a lab! It is location specific and it only affects new business, not existing policies.

12. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

you should listen to him...he knows it all. :mad:

13. ARGEE

ARGEE

0   0   0

Dont Believe Me Then..i Value A Childs Life More Than A Dog..in Akron You Have To Have Special Insurance An A Permit To Have One...you Only Hear Of Pitbull Fights Cause They Are The Only Ones That Do This..

14. peon

peon account delete

0   0   0

i think its time that a MODERATOR steps in.. this agree guy is in the wrong to post such bull !! i believe his post are against marketplace rules!