close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Freak fishing accident with x-ray pic

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GMR_Guy, Oct 7, 2005.

1. I friend of mine lost his eyesight in one eye from a sinker flying back and hitting him in the eye. He was about 14 when it happened.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Ouch!!! Man that would tighten the rear end up a little.

3. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

You'd be surprised at the force of some of these weights can fly at during a hookset. I was fishing with Discgolfer and he had a set that missed and his little 1/16 bullet weight flew up and hit me in the shoulder. I had a tee-shirt, longsleeve shirt AND a wind breaker on and it STILL gave me a welt and a bruise! Thank god it wasn't my eye! By the sound it made and the way I buckled down after it hit, he thought he DID hit me in the eye!

4. I had an 1/8 ounce jighead come flying back perfectly and hit on the rod tip about 2" from the end. It busted the tip right off.:mad: So I too can relate to the force that comes with those projectiles as well. I thank God that I have never sustained any injuries over the years from similar incidences.

5. Hmm, Safty glasses for fishing, kevlar helmet and jacket also.

6. Just a side note, but that's what makes the new fish hedz so interesting. I've worn them out on Alum recently and decided right then and there to buy one. I always wear sunglassed on the wtaer, so make sure yours are shatter proof. Your eyesight would be to me, the worst sense to lose.

Eric

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i had a ewg hook hit me in the arm, and the force from it left a scar after it healed...i now have a hook shape in my shoulder...

8. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Not only hooksets, but the rod tip speed can be upwards of over 100 mph. for distance casters.......imagine that tip speed with a 4ft drop of line and 4 oz. sinker..would be like getting shot by an big game bullet.

My buddy Dave took a 1.5 oz sinker to the back of the head once on a cast...OUCH!! About cracked his skull.

Scott

9. Someone should alter and dress that up and send to a pwc/waterskiing site as a warning on the dangers of "buzzing" fisherman